Search the forum,

Discuss Oil to gas conversion - Removing back boiler? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Big_Bill_Adama

Hi all,

I am looking some advice regarding our renovations. We have just bought an old house circa late 1930's. We are looking to switch from oil to gas for various reasons one being the showers are electric.

My question specifically regards a back boiler in one of the fireplaces. We have had 3 plumbers out, 2 have offered to just 'disconnect' the back boiler. The third has just come out and said that due to switching to gas it is not safe to just disconnect the back boiler and it must be removed for safety. Obviously this means a lot more work to take the fireplace out and put it back in. He has said that building control will require it to be removed.

I just don't understand why the other two plumbers were happy to disconnect it. I do trust the third plumber as he is a friend of my fathers and definitely knows his stuff.

Any advice is appreciated,

Mike

I used to disconnect and drill them. The last couple have been removed.
The problem lies with the fact that the back boiler is supposed to operate with water in it as normal operation. If its left in then it will deteriorate quicker and could possibly direct products of combustion into the house.

Reply to Oil to gas conversion - Removing back boiler? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock