Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Tank filter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I went to check the filter on my oil tank (plastic, bunded, 1300l)which I fitted two years ago. 5000l of oil had been used with no problems to date but I thought I'd check since the tank was filled last week.
I thought when I fitted the filter supplied with the tank that it was a poor design of seal on the bowl...

Screenshot from 2019-09-19 12-13-54.png

Sure as eggs is eggs, after checking the filter (clean as a whistle) I could not get the bowl to seal on refitting. Luckily I had one square section O ring in my garage (never throw ANYTHING away is the motto) which did the job, but I have no idea whether this is a nitrile seal or not, so it may not last.
Where can I find the square section O rings needed for these filters? I can't find anything to date from the tank suppliers I've tried & Simply Bearings & other sites I know of don't list square section seals. Are these available from plumber's merchants (e.g City Plumbing which I've used locally since they used to be Kennedy's!)
or do I need to buy some square section Nitrile or Viton & make my own?

TBH I would buy a length of o ring and make me own always comes in handy having a piece

Don’t normally have a problem with these either.
SOS do a generic tank master type filer compete with a selection of O rings and seals, including square section.
Available from HWoS.
[automerge]1568910999[/automerge]

Does that type of filter have a paper filter cartridge inside? Most of the ones I used always came with a new square section seal which can be fitted at the time you change the filter inside. Have a look at one of those and see if it comes with the seal.

Thanks for the replies - there is no paper element in this type, just a nylon 50 micron strainer type cartridge that was as clean as new. At ÂŁ6 for the Atkinson kit including a new filter, it's hardly worth the hassle of making my own - I bet the O rings would be a quid each anyway. I have the normal O ring cord (I've messed about with cars/tractors general engineering stuff for 50+years now) but the only square section rings I had (apart from 1) were car oil filter size seals

Reply to Oil Tank filter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This unit is located in France where they use diesel not kerosene. The feed from the underground tank is not getting through to the boiler. The boiler works fine if I connect the hoses up to a remote tank of diesel. I am assuming that a filter is blocked somewhere but there is nothing between...
Replies
Views
Been in property about 10 years and the valve on the (round/bunded) Balmoral tank has always been in pretty rusty state. Tank is 5,000 litres but only got about 300L left at the moment. Please see picture. Looking for opinions on whether to get valve/filter assembly replaced due to rust or if I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
H
Hi, I have two Crosland type 68489 inline oil filters in my domestic heating system. I need some replacement seals or gaskets to fit between the top of the bowl and the body of the unit. Can any one tell me where I can buy these separately as opposed to part of a kit as I already have several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Newbie here so feel free to teach me the etiquette of this place, and apologies for the lengthy opening post. The boiler started locking out on Friday after a long period of faultless running, there was a bit of gunk on the back of the (newish) nozzle (Danfoss Nozzle 0.65 x 80 EH) ...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock