Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Tank filter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I went to check the filter on my oil tank (plastic, bunded, 1300l)which I fitted two years ago. 5000l of oil had been used with no problems to date but I thought I'd check since the tank was filled last week.
I thought when I fitted the filter supplied with the tank that it was a poor design of seal on the bowl...

Screenshot from 2019-09-19 12-13-54.png

Sure as eggs is eggs, after checking the filter (clean as a whistle) I could not get the bowl to seal on refitting. Luckily I had one square section O ring in my garage (never throw ANYTHING away is the motto) which did the job, but I have no idea whether this is a nitrile seal or not, so it may not last.
Where can I find the square section O rings needed for these filters? I can't find anything to date from the tank suppliers I've tried & Simply Bearings & other sites I know of don't list square section seals. Are these available from plumber's merchants (e.g City Plumbing which I've used locally since they used to be Kennedy's!)
or do I need to buy some square section Nitrile or Viton & make my own?

TBH I would buy a length of o ring and make me own always comes in handy having a piece

Don’t normally have a problem with these either.
SOS do a generic tank master type filer compete with a selection of O rings and seals, including square section.
Available from HWoS.
[automerge]1568910999[/automerge]

Does that type of filter have a paper filter cartridge inside? Most of the ones I used always came with a new square section seal which can be fitted at the time you change the filter inside. Have a look at one of those and see if it comes with the seal.

Thanks for the replies - there is no paper element in this type, just a nylon 50 micron strainer type cartridge that was as clean as new. At £6 for the Atkinson kit including a new filter, it's hardly worth the hassle of making my own - I bet the O rings would be a quid each anyway. I have the normal O ring cord (I've messed about with cars/tractors general engineering stuff for 50+years now) but the only square section rings I had (apart from 1) were car oil filter size seals

Reply to Oil Tank filter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock