Search the forum,

Discuss Oil smell on and off in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi again. Having successfully solved my secondary problem it’s now time to reconsider the primary fault.

my boiler smells of oil, not always but usually.
system is 25 years old and boiler is serviced annually. Metal tank in garden with Atkinson tank-master tap. Trianco boiler in utility room. Last delivery of oil just under 4 weeks ago. Smell started only 4 days ago.

Our service chap changed the jet, cleaned the flue and reset the air flap. Runs quieter but still smells. He wouldnt go further as he couldn’t isolate the oil tank as the tap was seized.

I've managed to free off the tap and fit a new filter, it was full of crud and sludge.

Oil smell still present. No sign of any leaking or sweating.

So I’m thinking there’s either a leak I can’t find, or perhaps there’s some muck in the line or solenoid preventing a perfect shut off seal, but then why does it still smell when it’s running and when it’s not running.

I intend to either get my chap out again or to look for another technician to come for a look.

Are there any other potential sources of oil smells that may be the problem.

many thanks

gary

Last edited:
Update..

Thanks to the internet, this forum and YouTube I think I have located the source of the smell. Opened the burner cover and discovered a damp patch under the pump. Blue cloth showed it was coming from the pump its self so I suspect either an O ring or other seal has failed.

New pump seems to be around £80 and honestly look hard to fit, I assume It'll need bleeding too.

Fingers crossed and any pointers very welcomed.

thanks

Reply to Oil smell on and off in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install (tank about 1m lower). 10 days later and boiler either doesn't fire or fires stops, fires runs splutters stops. Most it runs now is 10 mins, but that's...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have Grant oil fired boiler which when cold, takes multiple times to fire up. It will run for say 20 or 30 seconds with hot exhaust gases then it stops. The fan is still going then it starts off again and stops again. After 4 or 5 goes it runs fine. When the boiler gets up to...
Replies
Views
Hi, we have Worcester Bosch heatslave external oil boiler 18/25 Boiler locked out. Pressure was below 0.5 so brought pressure back up. When lock out is reset the burner attempts to light but sounds like a bag of spanners and cuts out again smelling strongly of oil. We have plenty of oil & the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock