Search the forum,

Discuss Oil leaking from boiler in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I have a leak coming from my oil boiler only when the boiler is fired up. It's down the bottom with beside a bolt and what looks to be a bleed nipple

My wife got oil delivered and they bled the boiler. Is there anyway a leak could happen from someone inexperienced bleeding the boiler?

I have been able to take a video and if I can work out how to upload I will

Many thanks

Attachments

• VID_20210928_181623.mp4
    86.3 MB
Can you take a static picture of where on the pump the leak is coming from? Your video is very jumpy and the camera is moving so much I can't make it out. If it's the blanking plug I think it is they've bled from then a simple tightening up should do it.
Very poor of the so called engineer to leave it like that.

Thanks mate. Yes I have a few pics

It was the oil delivery man that bled it. You pay them an extra £10 to bleed your boiler if it needs it but to be honest I think they have caused this

Attachments

• IMG_20210927_183356__01.jpg
    IMG_20210927_183356__01.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210927_183350__01.jpg
    IMG_20210927_183350__01.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 10
There's two places to vent a Riello pump from and that is the usual one used. Isolate the fuel at the tank, get your spanners out and try nipping it up but don't overtighten it. When the pump is running that plug is under quite high pressure, so if it's not tightened enough it will leak. Once done reinstate fuel delivery from tank and bring the boiler on to see if you've sorted it.
I must add though if you ran completely out of oil then the strainer at the tank and any downstream filters should have been checked as well.
If I was called out to bleed a pump the price would have been more than that but then I would have done everything needed and not left the system leaking.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds a little too much for me (wouldn't want to overtighten and do more damage). I'll get the engineer out and hopefully he checks the strainer and filters.

Cheers

I strongly advise you to isolate the fuel at the tank, or at least put something under the pump to contain the spill in the meantime.

It only leaks when the heating is switched on. We have decided not to use it until the engineer comes to resolve it.
There was a few drops that came out as I was investigating the leak. Will this be ok so long as we don't use the boiler? Hopefully the engineer should clear up any spillage

If you've no intention of using the boiler until the engineer attends then isolate the oil at the tank and have a container under the pump as a fail safe.

You're doing the right thing by leaving to a technician. I just hope whoever attends knows what they're doing for your sake.
And please don't pay for a fuel delivery person to bleed the line again. Most of them don't have a f@+king clue.

Reply to Oil leaking from boiler in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock