Search the forum,

Discuss Oil heating and solid fuel linked ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

basildog

Can I somehow link either a woodburner or a solid fuel boiler into an oils system in a sensible way ?
My old farmhouse had a straw and pallet burner linked with an oil fired rayburn along with a woodburner !
You could boil the whole system .
My old plumber marvelled at how the guy had made it work as he said if he had tried it would never have it really was cobbled together big style with the pipes to the house being scaffold poles welded together just below the soil with no insulation !
Just planning at the moment for a house we might buy ?

Yep and there are so many ways to do it, last one I did was linked with dunsleys neutraliser, have a look at there website,,,

Our old one was done with pumps you plugged in !
ut then again the rayburn was fitted with sf flue up the outside wall of a listed building if it was a cold morning we had a white out in the kitchen !

As long as you keep gravity circuits seperate to pumped circuits and allow for any excess heat from the solid fuel boiler, then any proper method is fine. I have fitted two different systems, - one is the Dunsley (was Baker) system and the other still very good way is a Twincoil cylinder, with one coil for the solid fuel gravity primaries & the other coil for the pumped oil boiler. Then the pumped circuits joined together & check valves at each boiler to prevent one boiler pumping around the other, wasting heat & pump performance. A pipe stat (to operate the solid fuel pump)on the primary return at the hot cylinder side (not nearer to the stove) & possibly an injector tee used.
Dunsley saves you bother at boilers because you just need a flow & return from any bolier, Gravity for solid fuel & pumped for oil or gas & the circuits won't affect others

Last edited:
I should have made it clear that the Twincoil method uses a circulating pump on each boiler pumped circuit.

If you have a straw / pallet burner, I guess its attached to a large accumulator tank to take the heat. Similar to a farm 2000 or any other batch burner....
If thats the case, you can do it in various ways that are safe, reliable and straightforward.
The ideal solution will depend very much on the layout of your building and the sizing of the appliances / property heat load.

Akvaterm thermal store, they're really big!!! You'll probably needs lots of pennies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil heating and solid fuel linked ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and the domestic heat exchanger for the hot water tank (300litres). Old heating system with steel 2-inch pipes and cast iron segmented rads We were warned...
Replies
Views
I could really do with some advice. Bit of back history, I have a trianco thorncliffe solid fuel room heater it has a back boiler, my dad put the system in just over 30 years ago, everything was bought from the then local fire shop, installed with lots of advice from them, the system has worked...
Replies
Views
Hi My grandmothers property has a back boiler heated by a solid fuel appliance using coal. Yes, I know. She’s stubborn! Unfortunately the property has been vacant for a long while, a pipe froze and burst and left damp. It’s imperative we get the house heated and warmed up enough to dry it...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm really stuck with an issue I have with our soliud fuel back boiler system and my novice understanding is pretty much out of ideas so I'd really appreciate some advice. We've recently moved into a new place that has the hot water and central heating powered by a stove in the lounge...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock