Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Fired Central Heating Tank Question in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

This is what it looks like. It has been inspected and it is still servicable just needs cleaning up and painting.

Yes, I know it's ancient and could do with replacing but so is the owner and funds are limited.

Has anyone in PF land got any idea of how the gauge works? Is it a float mechanism? Looks like
it could be. I can see there is a cord going down into the tank and the spring is extended. There's not a lot
of oil in it at the moment so that would make sense. As you add fuel the float rises the spring would reduce
in length.

Of course there should be a dial and pointer in front of it.

Can I just buy a new dial? Can it be replaced in its entirety?

Any advise links references, pics
IMG_20200905_143652.jpg
IMG_20200910_122807.jpg
appreciated.

Thanks

My goodness. That is spot on. The 4 foot one. That's the height of the tank. The thread looks right too.

Is the thread standard?

Thanks so much.

Nobody bothered about the fact that the tank isn't supported properly and could cause an environmental hazard anytime soon?
If that tank goes the owner will be looking at a few £K payments to the environment agency for the clear-up operation.

Nobody bothered about the fact that the tank isn't supported properly and could cause an environmental hazard anytime soon?
If that tank goes the owner will be looking at a few £K payments to the environment agency for the clear-up operation.
This is a plumbing forum. Not a construction forum. Besides, all you have is a front elevation of the structure. You have no idea how it is supported.

This is a plumbing forum. Not a construction forum. Besides, all you have is a front elevation of the structure. You have no idea how it is supported.
I wasn't casting aspersions on anyone's ability to do their job it's just that I'm an observant kind of guy and I can tell you that it's not supported sufficiently, according to the OFTEC codes of practice, and if anyone is even slightly clumsy with those planks then there's going to be a ruptured oil line as well.

- just saying, as my niece would say :)

Plumbing forum also covers installation of oil tanks, - and that one doesn’t need an oil tank installer to confirm it is all wrong.
Tank is clearly not supported properly. That tank has to have entire base (out to edges of tank) supported. The strength is in the sides of the tank also.
It also has clearly been neglected and is likely to leak someday soon. The rust, broken gauge and overall ancient look of it tells me it hasn’t long for this world.
All that needs to happen for a major burst is the rotten unsupported parts of metal tank base to weaken and move, thus pulling a welded support bar out or simply causing a hole where rust had been.
Oil tanks corrode from inside due to water in the oil. I guess that one hasn’t been inspected.
Take advice and get a new bunded oil tank installed to current regs, - quickly!
If I was a neighbour I would be putting it into writing that you need a new tank.

Reply to Oil Fired Central Heating Tank Question in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock