• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Oil consumption meter in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas

I’ve got some portable ultrasonic flow meters I use/rent out.

They cost about £15k each and are accurate to about +/- 10%. I doubt you’re going to get anything useable for £100.

OP
M

MikeJhn

That's interesting, I have fitted the unit and it is reading the fuel level accurately to about +/- 10% how accurately it will read the consumption remains to be seen, but looks very good so far.

OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas

That's interesting, I have fitted the unit and it is reading the fuel level accurately to about +/- 10% how accurately it will read the consumption remains to be seen, but looks very good so far.
In an application like this level is a reasonably easy to measure, you’ve got a fluid that doesn’t move much. The level instrument is looking for a reflection from the change in fluid from oil to air. If the density of the oil changes by 20% it doesn’t matter much because it’s the boundary it’s looking for.

Your original query was on flow, that’s a whole different beast.

OP
M

MikeJhn

Yes it is, but this particular level meter also works out the flow and cost according to what price you paid and input into it, obviously does this through the change in level over a specific time period.

I do have an ultrasonic flow meter that I use on pools to check the condition of the filter and pipework.

OP
M

MikeJhn

Just to update this, a few glitches in the first instance as the tank I was fitting too did not have a flat area to attach the sender unit, once that was sorted by packing one side with washers and silicone sealing the base it has worked flawlessly, gives a good indication of cost per day/week, consumption also in day/week/month, very useful if you have aspergers as my OH constantly tells me I have.

Reply to Oil consumption meter in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads