Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Boiler water only tepid in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

P

PCUK12

I have an oil boiler for the central heating. Some time ago it stopped working, and as it was during the summer I stupidly left it for quite a few weeks to try to get it fixed. It was eventually fixed and it seems the cause was a faulty photocell. Although the radiators heat up to hot, Ive noticed the water in my hot taps is rather tepid since getting the boiler fixed - I put the heating on for 3 hours continuous (at 65/70 on the boiler) and measured the water temp - about 39 degrees C. The water is definitely not as hot as it used to be. It's quite an old oil boiler and hot water tank (so not a combi). I wondered if leaving the boiler off for so long has done something that means the water doesnt heat up properly? I also noticed if I didnt turn off a radiator in a bedroom, the radiator immediately beside the hot water tank (in the bathroom) hardly heats up at all and the water temp is even lower.

Could be a stuck port valve is stat set too low

See if your HW cylinder has a cylinder thermostat strapped to it about 1/3rd the way up, if so, check its setting, it should be 60C, check for a red wheeled gate valve on the cylinder coil (bottom) return, if so, check for 3 to 5 full turns between fully open and closed, close it.....then reopen it one full turn.

If it's an old system then maybe gravity fed primaries. Check that you have water in the feed and expansion tank for the heating system.

Reply to Oil Boiler water only tepid in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock