Search the forum,

Discuss Oil boiler, elderly owner, how to improve current set up? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello All
My elderly Dad, is reluctant to put heating on , you know the story....
He has a gravity fed oil boiler, thermostatic valves on radiators but no main thermostat control on the wall to regulate the boiler other than next to the boiler.
I worry he doesn't put the heating on and instead uses electric bar fires to warm up the surrounding area he sits in. The rooms in house are large and he lives in country, no gas.
One person said to me one of the most economical things to do is change the pump so it heats up water more quickly and also put a control on the wall to control the heating that he can easily access.
His main living area is upstairs so think it will be a pallava to run a cable to a main thermostat control - is there another simple option? I have a HIVE but if internet goes down can be a problem. I'm not sure if its an option for my Dad he does have wifi and an iphone though.
I think he would reluctant to change boiler
Thanks for your advice
Betty
Boiler.jpg
PUMPS.jpg
Flu.jpg
tank.jpg

Hi. First and you probably won't like this but I would consider upgrading the boiler to a modern high efficiency condensing boiler. Right there you will notice a considerable change in fuel usage throughout the year. At the same time it would be worth changing the system to an s plan, with full thermostatic control over the two zones and do away with the two circulating pumps and have just one for both CH and HW.
Having said that, if a full upgrade is not wanted or affordable then I would advise a room thermostat in his main room of occupancy to prevent unwanted and nuisance boiler cycling. I can see what looks like a room stat in one of the photos by the boiler but this is not a suitable location, if anything could be adding to cold spots in the house.
Can't remember the wiring for the current system off the top of my head but fixing the issue shouldn't be a problem if the installer knows what they're doing.

Totally agree re change boiler a modern condensing hugely more efficient.
Think the stat we can see on pic is probably a frost stat as it appears to be linked to a pipe stat.
As has been said get a competent installer who is used to oil installation and get some on site advice and quotations for any proposed work.

I wouldn't be changing a boiler just for the slight difference in fuel efficiency.

I would however be looking to upgrade the controls. As stated above, swap to s plan and make it more controllable.
Also look at a wire free room thermostat if concerned at running cables.

Thanks very much for your comments, it is interesting the difference of opinion as to whether upgrading to a new boiler would improve efficiency that much

I have just watched a video on s plans, hadn't heard of this before... so I understand it would be to create zones in the house ... good idea but not sure how helpful it would be in my Dad's house as the main living area which is open plan upstairs, cannot be closed off from downstairs ( and the large hallway beneath) as there is no door at the top or bottom of stairs. So although the heat rises from the rads in the large hallway beneath (which the bedrooms come off from downstairs) this area cannot be separated from the large living room and separate kitchen above

I should be able to tell what boiler that is but I cant to be honest but looking at that and the pipework and pumps I'm guessing the system has been in for close to 20 years, maybe more. I would be surprised if that boiler was running close to 90% efficiency, in which case a modern condensing boiler could save you 5-10% of your annual fuel usage, possibly even more with the right system and components governing it.
Have a look at Honeywell Evohome. Modern smart control heating system only bringing on the boiler for the rads or circuits that require it. Another option is to have the ground floor off one zone, controlled by its only thermostat and the same for the upstairs living area and hot water.
What you desire is easily achieved, it just depends on what route you take and the money you want to spend.

I should be able to tell what boiler that is but I cant to be honest but looking at that and the pipework and pumps I'm guessing the system has been in for close to 20 years, maybe more. I would be surprised if that boiler was running close to 90% efficiency, in which case a modern condensing boiler could save you 5-10% of your annual fuel usage, possibly even more with the right system and components governing it.
Have a look at Honeywell Evohome. Modern smart control heating system only bringing on the boiler for the rads or circuits that require it. Another option is to have the ground floor off one zone, controlled by its only thermostat and the same for the upstairs living area and hot water.
What you desire is easily achieved, it just depends on what route you take and the money you want to spend.
worcester danesmoor 30/45

Might be a one pipe system?

Thanks again, there is no backboiler or aga etc and I think the boiler is only 40 years old 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0791 (2).jpg
    IMG_0791 (2).jpg
    296 KB · Views: 3

Reply to Oil boiler, elderly owner, how to improve current set up? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock