Search the forum,

Discuss Oil boiler/burner trouble in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

long time lurker first time poster. I have an external grant boiler with a reillo rdb burner.

My tank ran dry last week got it topped up yesterday and so my trouble began.

I bled the burner as I normally would. Heating fired no problem went back into house and realised the heating was not on...back out to boiler. I noticed when moving the wiring junction box that it sparked the burner into life and it fired for a minute or two and then knocked off. When I got back into house I noticed the heating controls had gone and the fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again immediately.

I isolated the pump checked the motorised valves all with same result. When I isolated the boiler limit stat I found that the fuse didn't blow, heating controls were back on but the reillo burner was dead....

All my electrical connections are sound and untouched by the elements.

Anyone have some suggestions as to what the issue is from info above? Does the burner need the high limit to receive its power?

oh I had a spare stat so I went ahead and replaced it but same issue occurs.

thanks in advance

D

Hello Dave. I would think you better get a heating engineer or electrician in to sort it.
Wiring junction box?
The high limit stat is just one of the stats that can break the link to the burner if control stat fails for example. It's essential.

best tell the technician you call out all you have done and when it was last serviced properly, it will save an awful lot of time and tears. to be clear, youve probably fried some essential control components so a bloke with a van full of spares is fairly high on your list of priorities.

Thanks very much for replies.

I hope I've not done too much damage in taking on the fault finding myself.

I'll get someone out to look at it asap

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil boiler/burner trouble in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a noisy fan on the boiler so investigated, just a bit of dirt in the casing however, having removed the burner unit I replaced the Burner Nozzle no problem, old was very dirty and sooty. Found the boiler wouldn't fire up. SO rather than than mess...
Replies
Views
Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a noisy fan on the boiler so investigated, just a bit of dirt in the casing however, having removed the burner unit I replaced the Burner Nozzle no problem, old was very dirty and sooty. Found the boiler wouldn't fire up. SO rather than than mess...
Replies
Views
Lincoln22
L
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered the boiler won't fire up when hot taps are turned on so no hot water. The boiler fires up periodically to heat water but not when we turn on taps. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock