Search the forum,

Discuss oftec in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sharb007

please can any one help, we had our oil fired boiler installed in nov 1998, we are now trying to sell house and the solicitor has asked for oftec number of person who installed, cannot find it, was it a legal requirement in 1998 to use only oftec registered fitters, and if we now have boiler serviced by oftec engineer will we be ok?

anyone can fit an oil boiler iaw current rules. However a competent person should commission the boiler and tank on completion and being oftec registered is deemed to be one way of proving competence. If you have lost any details an oftec technician can service and certify a current system and produce paperwork for you. if your solicitor still prevaricates, get him to produce his school reports from 1998 or bin him, sometimes they get bees in their bonnets knowing nought about the regs

to be honest an upto date certificate showing the boiler has been serviced and is safe to use and the tank is in good condition and applies with current regs is more pertinent to a buyer than knowing the name of the installer from 17 years ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its changed. You no longer notify on the commissioning but on the installation.

In oftec speak its to stop non competent people installing.

In real terms its oftec trying top up the coffers by stopping anybody installing and a competent engineer commissioning.

In situations like this I generally complete the oftec service paperwork and that suffices. Its 17 years old after all.

You do not have to be an OFTEC guy to install, but if he was he should have notified it through OFTEC. Any competent person can install, then they should have notified it through building control. Still at 17 years old, someone is having a laugh :smile:

Its changed. You no longer notify on the commissioning but on the installation.

In oftec speak its to stop non competent people installing.

In real terms its oftec trying top up the coffers by stopping anybody installing and a competent engineer commissioning.

In situations like this I generally complete the oftec service paperwork and that suffices. Its 17 years old after all.

must read oil installer again and check their updates, rules rules bleedin rules

Thank you for your help on this, will arrange for oftec engineer to service boiler to put paperwork in order.

17 years ago you had no need to register any boiler gas or oil. That came in some years after, I don't think they even had benchmarks back in 98 because I can't remember the bloke who taught me doing any of them and I swear they came out when I was out installing by myself.

He's just form filling,for form fillings sake..justification of fees..just say not known and you will hear no more...sometimes they then try to sell you indemnity insurance to cover the works,the cost is so cheap compared to other costs, many just go for it..another nice little earner

One of the bees in my bonnet, guys, it's not just oftec, they don't have a monopoly thank goodness, the following bodies can also certify someone as competent to install an oil boiler etc:

APHC, BESCA, Blue Flame Certification , Certsure, NAPIT, OFTEC, Stroma

So inherently asking for the oftec engineer is wrong and shows the solicitors ignorance.

One of the bees in my bonnet, guys, it's not just oftec, they don't have a monopoly thank goodness, the following bodies can also certify someone as competent to install an oil boiler etc:

APHC, BESCA, Blue Flame Certification , Certsure, NAPIT, OFTEC, Stroma

So inherently asking for the oftec engineer is wrong and shows the solicitors ignorance.

Really? That I didn't know I just always thought it was only oftec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oftec in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock