Search the forum,

Discuss Oftec inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sharp Point

I recently done my Oftec training, 101,105 and 600. It has cost me a bloody fortune.....:32:Books, upgraded liability to 2 million, new fga, workmanship insurance,registration.......etc etc

Right, this coming Thursday morning I've got my initial inspection. Apparently wants to check insurances and calibration certificates, then finally come and watch me service a boiler/ check over the installation.

i haven't really done a lot of oil over the years, but I think after 20+ years fiddling with gas boilers! I'm pretty confident.

Can any of you good folk just summarise the service procedure, step by step....I get pretty flustered when being watched by an authoritarian figure.

In a nut shell, I like to

Check the oil tank.
Visual inspection of installation.
Visual inspection of boiler.
Strip Burner & clean.
Clean baffles & combustion chamber.
New nozzle after the dirty stuffs done.
Oil hose if required (usually is)
Pop the pump gauge on
FGA
Calibrate to specified settings.
Check fire valve.
Clean boiler case
Complete service sheet

If you want to score brownie points early on have your Tech amendments up to date, have a T/133, CD/11 & CD/12; All at the ready. They like it if you do a tank risk assessment on site.
My Inspector asked me a load of tech questions about tank locations etc. He was very helpful & engineer friendly not what I was expecting at all.

The inspection is a joke, surprising that from Oftec :)

Take him to a standard efficiency one, its easier :)
Make sure you do the correct electrical isolation procedure before you start servicing.
I normally
Isolate. Check fused spur for correct fuse rating. Check oil line is earthed
Take baffles out.
Outside and check fire valve, oil filter, oil line, tank, flue and flue guard. Take your paperwork with you so you write all the defects down as you go.
Back inside, burner out, scraper and hoover in. Clean boiler and baffles re-assemble baffles and tighten up door.
New nozzle, new flexi hose I not long life.
Strip down burner and check fan, electrodes etc.
All back together and burner back in, checking seal.
Power it up.
Oil gauge in.
Fire it up.
Warm up your smoke pump.
Let the boiler warm through.
Take smoke reading then stick n the analyser.
Tweak combustion, print off two copies of combustion readings. One for cust and one for me.
Write it up and Roberts your mothers brother.

He wont be happy and will find something wrong.

Something like that.

In a nut shell, I like to

Check the oil tank.
Visual inspection of installation.
Visual inspection of boiler.
Strip Burner & clean.
Clean baffles & combustion chamber.
New nozzle after the dirty stuffs done.
Oil hose if required (usually is)
Pop the pump gauge on
FGA
Calibrate to specified settings.
Check fire valve.
Clean boiler case
Complete service sheet

If you want to score brownie points early on have your Tech amendments up to date, have a T/133, CD/11 & CD/12; All at the ready. They like it if you do a tank risk assessment on site.
My Inspector asked me a load of tech questions about tank locations etc. He was very helpful & engineer friendly not what I was expecting at all.

thanks is for that tfg, would he/ she be startled to see me referring to my manuals if I'm not to sure and keep referring to my Oftec books for answers, it's what I do in real life on the gas side of things.

The inspection is a joke, surprising that from Oftec :)

Take him to a standard efficiency one, its easier :)
Make sure you do the correct electrical isolation procedure before you start servicing.
I normally
Isolate. Check fused spur for correct fuse rating. Check oil line is earthed
Take baffles out.
Outside and check fire valve, oil filter, oil line, tank, flue and flue guard. Take your paperwork with you so you write all the defects down as you go.
Back inside, burner out, scraper and hoover in. Clean boiler and baffles re-assemble baffles and tighten up door.
New nozzle, new flexi hose I not long life.
Strip down burner and check fan, electrodes etc.
All back together and burner back in, checking seal.
Power it up.
Oil gauge in.
Fire it up.
Warm up your smoke pump.
Let the boiler warm through.
Take smoke reading then stick n the analyser.
Tweak combustion, print off two copies of combustion readings. One for cust and one for me.
Write it up and Roberts your mothers brother.

He wont be happy and will find something wrong.

Something like that.

Oh.... Dare I show him my method of testing the fire valve then!!!!! cough cough fancy a nice HOT cuppa coffee mr Oftec inspector.

Always get a cup of tea on a service :)

Aye, its the real world and hes not testing your memory. Same as in the assessments when you do your quals. They like to know if you are unsure then you know where to look.

my inspector turned up, sat down wanted to see insurance, tickets etc oh and manuals, mine were out of dated, slapped wrist. Had another coffee, tried selling the oftec insurance went throough the website then he had to poke off to someone else.. Look at a boiler wtf they had the cheque why bother ???????????

thanks is for that tfg, would he/ she be startled to see me referring to my manuals if I'm not to sure and keep referring to my Oftec books for answers, it's what I do in real life on the gas side of things.

No thats just fine wouldn't worry bogrodder really, remember oftec is a voluntary scheme. They always find something wrong to so dont sweat it.
I'am the same with the books too.

Just make sure you have biscuits , tea coffee , Insurance 2m+ PLI, Books up to date, analyser calibration cert, Manuals up to date , warning labels , commissioning kit ( Pressure gauge vacuum gauge) tank form, servicing form
Stack it in a heap on your desk and he'll just go through it all ticking his sheet of paper
If you have n't got something he will advise you to get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oftec inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock