Search the forum,

Discuss Odour from internal manhole cover - how to seal? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I've an internal manhole cover in my garage, covering the main waste drains. Only moved into the house about 6 weeks ago but noticed it occasionally smells a bit cabbagey around the area of the cover.
Have lifted, checked for blockage and cleaned out somewhat but still get a bit of smell now and then. Looking at the cover, it looks like the seal might be past its best, so I was thinking of applying a good layer of manhole grease around the edges but wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions?
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 15
Wash both surfaces and applying grease is a good way simple way to start with.

Thanks RPM, do I need manhole grease or could I use some alternative from Screwfix etc. that's available in a smaller quantity? (ideally don't want to spend £35 on a 3kg tub of grease)

Thanks RPM, do I need manhole grease or could I use some alternative from Screwfix etc. that's available in a smaller quantity? (ideally don't want to spend £35 on a 3kg tub of grease)
Well, going by another post on the same subject somewhere else recently a respected poster said even Vaseline would do, of course any nicks in the seal and it wont seal properly.

@rpm when you say any nicks in the seal, do you mean the rubber seal in place or the seal I'd create with the grease?

@Ben-gee do you mean tear out the existing rubber seal and replace with EPDM?

Thanks

Understood. I might remove the old rubber seal and replace with something similar before applying grease. At the moment, the old seal has gaps in it. This might be a dumb question but does it matter what shape the seal is, as long as it fits into the groves? E.g. this Stormguard EPDM Rubber P Strip White 20m - https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-epdm-rubber-p-strip-white-20m/33145#product_additional_details_container looks different from the seal that's currently in there but not sure if I can find an exact like for like

Hi Boothus,
Could you give me an update? Still fine? I have a very similar problem.
I wonder if you could add the name of the silicone grease you used.
Thanks

Reply to Odour from internal manhole cover - how to seal? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock