Search the forum,

Discuss Odour from internal manhole cover - how to seal? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I've an internal manhole cover in my garage, covering the main waste drains. Only moved into the house about 6 weeks ago but noticed it occasionally smells a bit cabbagey around the area of the cover.
Have lifted, checked for blockage and cleaned out somewhat but still get a bit of smell now and then. Looking at the cover, it looks like the seal might be past its best, so I was thinking of applying a good layer of manhole grease around the edges but wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions?
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 25
Thanks RPM, do I need manhole grease or could I use some alternative from Screwfix etc. that's available in a smaller quantity? (ideally don't want to spend ÂŁ35 on a 3kg tub of grease)

Thanks RPM, do I need manhole grease or could I use some alternative from Screwfix etc. that's available in a smaller quantity? (ideally don't want to spend ÂŁ35 on a 3kg tub of grease)
Well, going by another post on the same subject somewhere else recently a respected poster said even Vaseline would do, of course any nicks in the seal and it wont seal properly.

Understood. I might remove the old rubber seal and replace with something similar before applying grease. At the moment, the old seal has gaps in it. This might be a dumb question but does it matter what shape the seal is, as long as it fits into the groves? E.g. this Stormguard EPDM Rubber P Strip White 20m - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/stormguard-epdm-rubber-p-strip-white-20m/33145#product_additional_details_container looks different from the seal that's currently in there but not sure if I can find an exact like for like

Hi Boothus,
Could you give me an update? Still fine? I have a very similar problem.
I wonder if you could add the name of the silicone grease you used.
Thanks

Reply to Odour from internal manhole cover - how to seal? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi all I am not a professional, however I am a handy bugger I think. After the conversion of a garage to an actual internal room, there is now an external unsealed manhole cover in the centre of the room, around 4 inches below the new floor level. It is approx 750 x 500 in size. The cover...
Replies
Views
Bradley Basford
B
I am seeking some advice on how to seal up my sump pit. I currently get condensation on the walls and floor around the pit, and in the past there has been accumulation of mold on the walls, due to about 6" of standing water in the bottom of the pit. The air also smells bad and is somewhat...
Replies
Views
Hi All I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks there is a blockage. She stated she has tried various shop boought unblockers but nothing worked.... I went there and gained access to downstairs to...
Replies
Views
Hi I moved house about 9 months ago. Around 3 months after moving in I started to notice an intermittent sewage smell in the bathroom upstairs. For the last few months I have been checking all traps and trying to pinpoint the smell. There is no issue with the traps, I believe the smell is...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all, I have a submerged pump in my drain (a Hippo 50) pumping uphill on my property to the sewage main. I've been noticing a bit of a sewage smell every so often e.g. after using the shower so lifted up the drain cover today to have a look. It looked like a septic tank in there being full of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock