Search the forum,

Discuss NVQ Diploma in Plumbing & Heating Further Training Advice... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted some of your opinions..

I've served a 2 year trainee/improver with a gas & heating company..I was put through a Gas Foundation course and the ACS exams but thats all the trade qualifications I have...unfortunately work has died right down and I'm now going to be made redundant.

What I'm thinking is...should I invest to do the NVQ 2 Diploma in Plumbing & Heating and then possibly do the NVQ 3 just to have to the recognised qualification and to improve my chances for future employment....or do you think it'll be a waist of money and time?

Any feedback would be most welcomed.

Dave

all you can do is be as best prepared as you can NVQ,s need a site portfolio (i think) this is my own view and disreguard it if it doesnt suit but i,m a little worn out of people with qual,s but short on exp you,ve worked in the game and you,ve studied as well and if you get the chance you,ll do it again sell youre enthusism (wrong spelling dont kill yourself thats another word i cant spell) in dispair people part with money for quals make sure there worth it im not trying to put you off education quite the opposite but thers now a industry producing people with quals who cant find work and now have debts try to asses what you achieved so far and sell that good luck with looking for work

you dont need a site portfolio for the plumbing side, the gas side you do though, enrole in the college, the heads of department are usually great at finding you a job while you are there as thats where the trades contact when they are thinking of taking on :D

College sounds like the best plan if you don't already have the skills you need to get your nvq level 2

you dont need a site portfolio for the plumbing side, the gas side you do though, enrole in the college, the heads of department are usually great at finding you a job while you are there as thats where the trades contact when they are thinking of taking on :D

yes you do need a site port folio for the plumbing side
it is rare for a college to find you a job, they are there for training, not an employment agency, im sure they would if they could but were are these jobs?

For NVQ 2 you need portfolio and an assessor is appointed to you to check on your skills and general working practice within the sector dealing with things like competency, tidiness, attention to regs and safety. This is the NVQ level 2 6089. The assessors are nice people that help and advise you, not a bunch of legislation nazis.

But you need the C&G 6129 technical certificate also, which is the theory. The teachers more or less resent this path due to it being budget slashed multiple choice answers that are filled with stupid questions designed to catch you out rather than assess knowledge. No moderation available and no way to find out what you got wrong if you fail on anything. Not very helpful. Teachers are 'old school' and remember the days when it was more of a craft than a science, at least they were in my experience. It was a nice vicarious trip down memory lane. Totally loved my time there and would recommend it to anyone. Unfortunately you've called in after last orders. The new administration has withdrawn funding for the 'Train-to-Gain' scheme so now an individual must either pay for it themselves or their firm will. £6-8K now, I believe. Same criteria applies.

appologies i was speaking from my own college experience, 3 or 4 guys in my class were found jobs by the college and i only completed the class based work, no personal portfolio, maybe its different up here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NVQ Diploma in Plumbing & Heating Further Training Advice... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am middle aged and currently have a level 2 diploma in plumbing and heating and I am also Gas Safe. (level 3 gas engineering) I would like to get my Level 3 plumbing NVQ however I see that the courses include gas which I already have. Is there a way to gain this qualification by doing...
Replies
Views
Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2. Access training are offering an assessment package for £1500, which is competitive, but I am now nervous given the reviews I have seen on here. I am...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hope this is ok to post here but I’m really struggling to get any responses from anyone. I am a 36 year old from just outside of Maidstone who has recently decided to retrain with the hope of eventually starting a career in the domestic plumbing and heating industry (looking to get...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Hope you are all well. My name is Henry and I am Dorset based, and looking to get into the Plumbing trade. I will have completed my Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing in August this year, and have already signed on to the Level 2 NVQ as well as my Unvented and Water Regs certs, to start after...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock