• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Numerous pump,heating questions in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

nick83

Reaction score
IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1185 (1).JPG Hope someone can advise me.My new pump is situated pumping downwards as per picture.On initial startup there is a lot of turbulence/air noise and about a .2bar pressure drop.Would I be better having it fitted to flow on opposite wall,pumping up? or is the pump too powerful--ups2 25-80.
Also would there be any benefit in extending AAV higher up I have at least 2 feet above it?I am going to replace the pump valves because I think they maybe full of magnetite
thanks everyone

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Are you sure that's pumping the right way? Which way is the moulded arrow on the side of the pump body pointing?

Also how big is your heating system?

Riley

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
That looks to me like it’s pumping up too

Riley

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Plus that’s a light commercial pump I believe

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
The pump head may have been turned round but still worth checking, and yeah it's a light commercial pump designed for 30-50kw systems.

OP
N

nick83

Reaction score
the arrow is pointing down,and is light commercial on fixed speed2.It is 4 bed house,24 rads--some are small,and a 37k oil boiler

Riley

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
So the pump head has been rotated? When you fitted it was air bled out of the pump??

OP
N

nick83

Reaction score
So the pump head has been rotated? When you fitted it was air bled out of the pump??
i rotated it,and undid central screw until water appeared? is that right?
basically,i had a 25-55 for 14yrs but this was the supposed replacement 180 for it

OP
N

nick83

Reaction score
i rotated it,and undid central screw until water appeared? is that right?
basically,i had a 25-55 for 14yrs but this was the supposed replacement 180 for it
worst senario is replace pump.Could get a 130 size and fit adapters

OP
N

nick83

Reaction score
speed 1 doesn't seem to make any difference to turbulence/air.
have not tried pp settings

John.g

Reaction score
speed 1 doesn't seem to make any difference to turbulence/air.
have not tried pp settings
That's a giant of a pump, a 8M head, 140 watt pump and its still a 6M pump on speed 1. It will still pump at that 6M head (constant pressure, even when on a fixed speed setting) between 0 & 2.3 M3/hr (38 LPM). Just change it over to PP1 setting and you will be in business I would think. (you can always go to PP2 or PP3 if PP1 not satisfactory). The attachment will show how to go to PP mode, very simple, just a > 5 sec press of the button and then select your PP setting(s)
I'm not sure what you mean about changing the pump head around, if you want to change the pump direction you have to change the the pump body around, not just the pump head.

John.g

Reaction score
Here is the attachment.

For example of PP1 setting, if your required flow rate is 20 LPM @ 3M head then on fixed speed 1 you will get 28 LPM @ a 6M head but on PP1 you will get that 20 LPM @ a 3M head, no noise and a huge saving in pump power.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
N

nick83

Reaction score
Here is the attachment.

For example of PP1 setting, if your required flow rate is 20 LPM @ 3M head then on fixed speed 1 you will get 28 LPM @ a 6M head but on PP1 you will get that 20 LPM @ a 3M head, no noise and a huge saving in pump power.
thanks alot for that info.Iwas confused about pp.
i meant move pump completely over to far side of cupboard and having it pumping up on flow as opposed to down return,and obviously then i would rotate so pump casting arrow was facing up

John.g

Reaction score
thanks alot for that info.Iwas confused about pp.
i meant move pump completely over to far side of cupboard and having it pumping up on flow as opposed to down return,and obviously then i would rotate so pump casting arrow was facing up
My own system is pumping downwards, I don't think you will have to make any changes other than the above settings.
Let us know how you get on, Thanks.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom