Search the forum,

Discuss Now then, newbie here. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Alright everyone! Greetings, from the wonderful City of Liverpool!

I'm not a qualified plumber - but a joiner of wood. I fell in to the world of timber when I was younger, due to my old fella being a joiner basher an' tha'. But what I was really intrigued in, was the use of blowtorches, copper, solder and silicone with a splash of water.

I've started doing my own little bits here and there, when fitting kitchens and bathrooms etc. I've got all the gear - and good gear it is too. But the little bits aren't what I'm looking for. I'd love to scratch this itch I've had for years and start doing the serious stuff, even commercial or industrial - I'd even like to become gas safe.

Now I know like all new tradies that show up are looked upon with a cynical eye, but I'm looking for advice here. I've got the gear, I've got a van, I've got my own work, but I want to change. I'll drive myself mad otherwise. Where the hell do I start? Do I start asking firms and tell them my situation or does anybody know a firm or sole trader in Merseyside, looking for a lad with responsibilities (not expecting big money), with experience in the trades who's looking to become a full-on plumber/gas fitter? Do I bother with getting my NVQ's in this trade or am I too old? (35) Genuinely I'm just looking for realistic ideas.

Anyway, thanks for reading this if you get to here. Hopefully someone can throw me some advice.

Matt

Hello and welcome

I'm not a qualified plumber - but a joiner of wood. I fell in to the world of timber when I was younger, due to my old fella being a joiner basher an' tha'. But what I was really intrigued in, was the use of blowtorches, copper, solder and silicone with a splash of water.

I've started doing my own little bits here and there, when fitting kitchens and bathrooms etc. I've got all the gear - and good gear it is too. But the little bits aren't what I'm looking for. I'd love to scratch this itch I've had for years and start doing the serious stuff, even commercial or industrial - I'd even like to become gas safe.

Now I know like all new tradies that show up are looked upon with a cynical eye, but I'm looking for advice here. I've got the gear, I've got a van, I've got my own work, but I want to change. I'll drive myself mad otherwise. Where the hell do I start? Do I start asking firms and tell them my situation or does anybody know a firm or sole trader in Merseyside, looking for a lad with responsibilities (not expecting big money), with experience in the trades who's looking to become a full-on plumber/gas fitter? Do I bother with getting my NVQ's in this trade or am I too old? (35) Genuinely I'm just looking for realistic ideas.

Anyway, thanks for reading this if you get to here. Hopefully someone can throw me some advice.

Matt
We are based on Merseyside I will have a re read and a think later, chilli chicken and yellow rice takes priority we are a private hvac design company but ran a few fellas until 10:years ago and have a few contacts you might use Rob Foster aka centralheatking

We are based on Merseyside I will have a re read and a think later, chilli chicken and yellow rice takes priority we are a private hvac design company but ran a few fellas until 10:years ago and have a few contacts you might use Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Rob, I hope you enjoyed that chilli chicken and rice. I had spag bol, pretty decent.
Listen, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at hvac either! But if you think of anything, I would be forever in your debt. Cheers, Matt.

Matt
Given your age and experience I cannot see any NVQ being of use. You have a truck another great asset . Strangely enough I like joining Wood it’s so clean compared to getting covered in flux poo etc. But hey ho. Gas needs a course but plumbing does not ... anyone can become a plumber ...so ..hmm ok email me privately and let’s see.
[email protected]
Chking

Given your age and experience I cannot see any NVQ being of use. You have a truck another great asset . Strangely enough I like joining Wood it’s so clean compared to getting covered in flux poo etc. But hey ho. Gas needs a course but plumbing does not . anyone can become a plumber ...so ..hmm ok email me privately and let’s see.
[email protected]
Chking

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy joinery (1st fix is my favourite) and have learned a lot about the construction industry through it over the years, but it misses that technical side. It has those elements when doing roofs, joists - but it's not as exciting as piping up the kitchen or bathroom that you're doing using end feed fittings. I'm sure a few of the plumber's in here don't share that enthusiasm anymore.

Just a quick example for the benefit of the plumbers reading this. I did a £25k kitchen for one of my customers once, granite tops, solid ash doors, the whole schebang. The granite tops went on as well as this fancy undermount sink one day, complete with £300 mixer tap - whilst the customer was at work. She came back that evening, walked in, totally flabbergasted, straight over to the sink and tap and went "wellllllll, look at that" hahahaha. It was like the plumber had just invented the effing lightbulb. "Isn't it gorgeous?!" *rolls eyes*

Yeah, I understand it's all relative that there'll be crap sides to the job i.e blockages, up to the waist in effluent etc but I tell you, I'd feel more accomplishment sorting problems like that and I don't mind getting my hand down a gully.

Thanks for that Rob, I'll send you one tomorrow, see what you think. *thumbs up*

Reply to Now then, newbie here. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with the experience I have picked up over a lifetime. I can make copper pipe runs isolaters taps sink shower etc but me and the missus have bought a small...
Replies
Views
Hey folks, I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to set up my hot water and central heating systems. Got a gas boiler with a pressure tank and a motor circulating the hot water. There are two wall-mounted time adjustment thingies—one for hot water and heating, and the other for the motor. Oh, and...
Replies
Views
V
Hi all, I'm completely inexperienced at this, but my kitchen taps are ancient, and the water has started dripping. Rather than just change the washer, I want to change the entire thing to a mixer tap that supports two holes. I think I've figured most of it out except for the part where I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello guys, first post here. While I prefer copper-and-solder, I've used compression fittings successfully in the past, and I opted for compression throughout the present job because I'm tight for space. I got most of the fittings from the local Toolstation. They're standard 15mm equal tees...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope all is well. New on here. I am on bimmer forum UK for the BMW car. & not to forget the Xbox forum, my 2 things that I love & my wife of course...lol.. I do put a little info in (not sure if it's a help to folk but ..) So I hope I can do the same here. Thanks for all you letting me...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock