Search the forum,

Discuss notifying water undertakers of work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I could do with some advice on the water regs, and notifying water undertakers of work.
I'm soon to install a shower in a recently extended utility room. Under the regs, the shower installation should be notified to the water undertaker before work begins.
I'm newly qualified (plumbing/heating NVQ2), about to sit the water regs exam, but only have public liability insurance for £1million (I'm not sure I want to upgrade to £2m just right now - but if I did, I could register as a competent person with WIAPS.)
My question is: what is the procedure and costs for getting permission from them? I could ask them direct (Wessex Water) but I figured it was easier to get a basic idea from you guys first, and possibly be forewarned on a few things.
Thanks again for your advice,
Jennie

Humm.... How many people ever done this? Furthest I have ever gone is building control.

Hi Jennie
Can I ask why you feel that the installation of a shower in a domestic property requires notifying ?
The installation of a shower (over 12 L/m flow rate) is listed but this part of the Reg's has not been enacted & so notification is not required. IMHO.

I'm studying water regs at college (NVQ3). There's a list of notifiable jobs: 'a single shower unit connected directly or indirectly to a supply pipe which is of a type specified by the regulator' is one of them, and another (separate one) is a +12litre pump. I was rather surprised. But my tutor says my impending shower is notifiable, as it is seen by the authorities as a high backflow risk (because of the shower head dangling in contaminated water). It's all a bit annoying.

Attachments

• 2013-10-04 19.51.47.jpg
    2013-10-04 19.51.47.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 114
Double check valves and restraining ring on hose installed so that the When hanging down hose is 150mm above spill over level on a tray?

http://www.wras.co.uk/Regulations_Default.asp
Have a look at the WRAS web site link above, section 3 advanced notifications "A shower unit of a type specified by the Regulator (but none is currently specified);*"
This means that there are currently no showers that have to be notified.
So long as the hose retaining ring is used or the shower is installed in such a way that the hose / hand set still has an air gap above the over spill level of the tray then no other form of back flow protection is required.
No double check required Ermi !!!!
Hope that helps, think your tutor may have missed that one (& water in a domestic shower tray is cat 3 as I am sure you are aware so not that bad, even if no air gap a EC or ED or even two EB's would do).

Just recalling Bylaws chap stopping handover of office blocks because insufficient back flow on showers. Fitted rings aswell!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to notifying water undertakers of work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock