Search the forum,

Discuss Non-payer: Advice please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

SlimD

Gas Engineer
I'm a sole-trader and I had a call from a maintenance company asking me to do a stopcock repair for a customer as their plumber couldn't get to them. Price was agreed, they sent me job reference etc... did the job, sent the invoice...nothing. Contacted them and they said they'd pay it 28 days after receipt of the invoice. 28 days came and went and still nothing. Now they don't answer calls or respond to emails. Been 2 months now. Was only a small job and not a huge amount of money but they came to me so it's Soded me off that they think they can treat people like this.
Advice on what to do please?

Small claims court is going to be your best option at this stage imo. This site has lots of good info on the matter:
Small Claims Court

You might find that just sending a letter before action (the letter you send to state you intend to take them to small claims court if they do not settle the invoice) is enough to get them to cough up. Failing that sounds like you have a solid case and the court should find in your favour.

Use the little search box.
Somewhere is good advice about sending three letters by registered post and ramping each letter up.

Use the little search box.
Somewhere is good advice about sending three letters by registered post and ramping each letter up.

Small claims court is going to be your best option at this stage imo. This site has lots of good info on the matter:
Small Claims Court

You might find that just sending a letter before action (the letter you send to state you intend to take them to small claims court if they do not settle the invoice) is enough to get them to cough up. Failing that sounds like you have a solid case and the court should find in your favour.
Thanks but impression I get is that people just ignore these judgements as they know it will keep costing the complainant more to pursue and the court won’t really do much to enforce it.

Thanks but impression I get is that people just ignore these judgements as they know it will keep costing the complainant more to pursue and the court won’t really do much to enforce it.

Yes, the judgements can be ignored.
In fact, they can also ignore the court and not attend.
But a CCJ (county court judgement) made against the company can damage them as it is traceable.
You then have the option to pursue the money (for small fee) if they don’t pay the CCJ in a reasonable time.
Small Claims Court are almost a do it yourself Court and well worth using against anyone that owes and ignores you.
If an individual won’t pay the CCJ, you can claim money from their property (like if they own a car) or from their wage. Not sure about a company.
Perhaps Citizens Advice would be worth asking

Individuals might do if they already have a bad credit rating, but a company has more to loose, a county court judgement against them has the potential to screw up lines of credit and loans.

Sending a letter before action doesn't have to cost you anything, there are templates online so you don't have to get a lawyer involved. If that fails you need to weigh up the amount they owe you vs the costs of small claims court, its not guaranteed to work but for anything in the £2k-£10k region I would personally give it a punt.

Before you take legal action you need to demonstrate that you have given the other party time to pay (yes really) and that you have chased them professionally and politely...

So

Day 1. Email invoice
Day 30 . forward email with invoice to customer
Day 45. post copy of forwarded email with invoice to company
Day 60. Send final demand letter... which needs to contain the following

"Further to my email to you on the xx xxxxxxx 2019 outlining what the above invoice was for and why it should be paid, this invoice remains unpaid. I have sent a number of reminders requesting payment.

I attach my original invoice to this letter and wish to inform you, that if the invoice is not settled in full by xx xxxxx 2019, I intend to refer this matter to the Small Claims Court without further reference to you.

Please be aware that all costs associated with such action are added to your outstanding bill and will make the final payment higher."

That said .... the company you did the work for may pay on 60 days from the end of the month you invoiced them ............... have you tried calling them to establish whether they have received your invoice?

Reply to Non-payer: Advice please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
J
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally after they left I started experiencing yellow water (pale) from all my taps - hot and cold, including the toilet. This was intermittent and then...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently widowed and her 90yo husband who has since passed insisted on doing everything for himself. Nothing wrong with that but now that he has gone my wife...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock