Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy Vortech Pump Controller - can I just turn it off? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there

I've recently moved into a basement flat of a 4 storey house and there's a Vortech Pump Controller outside my back door. It makes a loud noise every 6 seconds, day and night. I don't know what this pump controller does but I'd like to turn it off at night. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on whether this would be a bad idea!

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• 20191013_124945.jpg
    20191013_124945.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
The control is for a sump pump, probably foul drainage, taking effluent from the invert in the basement to the mains sewer.

How often the pump(s) kick in is dependent upon the volume of the sump and the inflows. Every 6 seconds does not sound correct.

If you switch it off, two things should happen:

A power failure alarm (visual and audible) should sound.

As the sump fills up, it will be apparent as to what the holding volume is.

As a general pointer - any signs of a sluggish flush in a basement wc with a pumped sump system such as this is an immediate cause for concern and action.

Please come back and tell us when you resolved the problem, or need more advice as these things can be very useful for others in future who come across the same issue.

I hope you get it sorted out soon as that can't be very nice having that going off all the time.

Please come back and tell us when you resolved the problem, or need more advice as these things can be very useful for others in future who come across the same issue.

I hope you get it sorted out soon as that can't be very nice having that going off all the time.
Take your pick, outlet(s) restricted, nrv(s) failure, activation control item(s) failure, water ingress.

Reply to Noisy Vortech Pump Controller - can I just turn it off? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hello, I have just moved in to a new flat this week and have a problem with noise coming from somewhere around the top of the boiler. It's a loud clicking/knocking sound that lasts about a minute, stops for 20-30 seconds and starts again. It seems to happen at night, starting in the evening...
Replies
Views
I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn the water off to avoid potential catastrophic damage. When I go away I have always tended to turn ours off, that's typically anything from a couple of...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock