Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy "vibrating" pipes when filling bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rosieposie

Hi there, this is my first post on here and am hoping you can help me.

We moved to this house a few months ago and noticed that when we fill up the bath, and sometimes when the shower in the en-suite is used, there is a loud vibrating noise that sometimes happens when the bath has finished filling, or when it's just started. It sounds like the pipes but I can't be sure.

When we moved in, we had a pump fitted which is hooked up to the bath and the en-suite shower only, however we can't turn the pressure down, it's either on or off.

We had our boiler serviced last week and just happened to mention to the engineer about this. He kindly checked all the valves in the airing cupboard for me and looked at the stopcock in the garage. He adjusted the stopcock somehow and this stopped the noise when filling the bath, however, it created the noise when using the sink in the kitchen!!!

We have reverted back to it's previous position/setting.

The engineer said that we need a shock arrestor fitting in the system near the stopcock in the garage. Is he right??

It does sound like water hammer and a shock arrestor may help. Also look at the float operated valve in the cold water storage cistern in the roof space. Wear on this can cause vibration and if the cistern is plastic there should be a stiffening plate between the valve and the cistern.

Also pipe clips to hold the pipes in position will help restrict movement and therefore may go some way to stop the water hammer as it is refered to...hope this helps

If I had gone here I would have checked for clips and if needed put some clips inn, what about you Lad's??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy "vibrating" pipes when filling bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is switched on before it stops. There is a sink nearby, sometimes if we switch that on slowly before turning on the shower then the shower doesn't make a...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up twice a day for about 2 hours. When the tanks start to heat, one of them makes a loud vibrating noise, sometimes for about 15-20 mins, sometimes for...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock