Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy unvented cylinder advice Pls. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

HI everyone,

I'm looking for some thought/opinions on what could be causing issues with noise and pressure since having a pressurised un-vented cylinder installed with an Air Source Heat Pump from a traditional gravity fed system.

When it was first installed, whenever a hot tap was run there was a really loud blow torch noise/whooshing coming from the new tank.

The installers came back out several times to try different things to fix it and as one problem is resolved another appears.

1. First they installed a PRV by the stopcock and an arrester by the tank, did not fix the issue.

2. Then they piped a new feed direct to tank (I think 22mm, existing pipe is all 15mm, 80's build) removed PRV and arrester.

3. This stopped the whooshing when running the hot, and created strong hot pressure out of the tap....but now there is the loud blow torch noise when any COLD is run and a whistling noise (so, even worse as it continues for ages each time the loo is flushed!) The cold water pressure is also terrible now since this direct feed to the tank was installed.

4. They came back out today, fitted an arrester and turned down the pressure at the unvented cylinder inlet valve. This had reduced noise but also reduced cold water pressure to a trickle and not fixed the actual issue, whatever that is.

Any help, opinions, advice on what the issue could be and what action is required to pit it right would be greatly appreciated.

Roger. Will get some picks up when I get home from work, TYVM.
Photos of the cylinder which is located in upstairs airing cupboard where old hot water tank used to be, directly below the old cold water tank in attic. And a photo from my downstairs loo where the new direct cold feed to cylinder comes from stopcock and old cold feed has been capped. Hope this helps with the original plee for advise 🙏

Attachments

• 20221116_165443.jpg
    20221116_165443.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221116_165452.jpg
    20221116_165452.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221116_165455.jpg
    20221116_165455.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221116_165500.jpg
    20221116_165500.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221116_165540.jpg
    20221116_165540.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Noisy unvented cylinder advice Pls. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock