Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

MDM

We got new central heating installed a couple of months ago and now I have a very noisy bathroom (mixer) tap - but only for the hot water.

According to the heating engineer the problem is the tap we currently have in the bathroom sink isn't designed for mains fed water and we need to install a flow restrictor - but there’s no noise when we run the cold water?

He's also suggested I could install an "Ideal standard concept air basin mixer".

None of this makes sense to me....

Can anyone advise on a solution?

Sounds like he hasn't a clue!

It could well be that the cartridge is worn, but that should not warrant a new tap. As you quite rightly point out, the cold (mains) works fine.

Just to be clear here, this is NOT his fault. Installing a combi has simply magnified an existing problem. Ask him to change the taps cartridges.

Sounds like he hasn't a clue!

It could well be that the cartridge is worn, but that should not warrant a new tap. As you quite rightly point out, the cold (mains) works fine.

Just to be clear here, this is NOT his fault. Installing a combi has simply magnified an existing problem. Ask him to change the taps cartridges.

Damn :-(

I've replaced the cartridge but the noise remains..... I have a video of the tap working but I can't upload it. "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. "

This may work for the video:
When I turn the hot flow on (Right as you view the video) the noise is present. When I turn on the cold flow the noise disappears.

I'm assuming the flow from the hot has a greater pressure thanks to the new combi-tank which means the tap can't cope and I need a new tap?

Last edited:
A photo as requested townfanjon :) :
tap_flexi_pipes.JPG

Looks to me like the cold is from a storage cistern & the hot from the mains water via the combi boiler at high pressure either way a flow restrictor fitted to the hot supply should help the situation & at lo cost.

PS. They are cheap taps & as they mix the hot & cold water single check valves should have been installed to each supply to comply with the Water Regulations.

Reply to Noisy tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock