Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy stopcock / mains water inlet pipe in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

Would really appreciate some help please. Had this problem for a few weeks now and it is quite annoying and owing to the loudness I'm surprised the neighbours haven't complained yet. I keep getting intermittent vibrating / buzzing noises on the mains water inlet pipe where water comes in to my property under the kitchen sink before the main stopcock. You can even feel the copper pipe vibrating when you hold it. Stopcock is fairly new and was changed around 18 months ago. At this stage I believe this is an issue with the water supply to my property and perhaps the pressure is too high. Oddly the noises seem worse on an evening although does sometimes happen in the day.

When I can hear the vibrating noise before the mains stopcock and I run any of the taps in the bathroom the noise gets even louder and sounds like a loud grinding noise. I don't believe this is due to any of the ballcocks or taps in the bathroom either as they are also fairly new - again around 18 months old and I have no header tank in my loft either. Ideally I would like to measure the water pressure but do not have a test gauge, would it be worth buying one and what pressure should I expect? Also would there be any value to fitting a PRV or arrestor or should I get the water board out to investigate further before randomly changing out things.

I am reasonably competent and can change out parts as required. Had similar problems to this a couple of years back with the buzzing noise on the mainly supply line and did get the water board out then but annoyingly the noise wasnt present and it did eventually go away after a number of weeks. Unlike last time, this is worse though and much much louder and last time I didnt experience the grinding noises in the bathroom when running taps and flushing the toilet in the upstairs bathroom.

Another minor problem I have noticed is a slip seeping trickling down the pipework above the stopcock. Need to investigate this further but suspect it is related to the vibration travelling through the pipework possibly causing some of the joints to become slipper loose. I will investigate this but would like to address the main problem that I think is causing all this before any further damage is done elsewhere. . Thanks in advance.

If the incoming main is copper, then it could be your neighbours who have an issue, and the sound is travelling. Next time it happens, turn your stopcock off and find out if the noise continues or stops.

Hi and thanks for your response. The incoming main is copper, house was built early 60s and last time I had this problem you could even hear the noise outside and it did affect the next door neighbour also. Don't hear anything outside this time. When you turn the stopcock off you do still get the vibration which is what makes me thinks it's likely a supply issue. Don't have a water meter either. Just 1 main supply shutoff that is shared by the whole street.

Reply to Noisy stopcock / mains water inlet pipe in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock