Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy Pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M4Matt

An age-old problem, but the cause is uncertain. I have a 2-year old David Wilson house (just out of warranty) with an unvented hot water system and seperate thermostats for the ground and first floor. Whenever water is pumped to replenish the hot water cylinder or to heat upstairs radiators I hear a grinding noise behind a downstairs wall near to the boiler (but evidently not from the boiler itself). The downstairs heating can run without this problem.

The noise lasts about half a second and occurs regularly every 5 seconds or so. The frequency does not seem to be effected by the speed of the pump or, if it is, the difference is minimal.

From what I have read elsewhere, I believe the noise is most likely to be air in the pipes or pipes rubbing against the wooden frame or support brackets. I would describe the sound as more like two surfaces rubbing against each other, but I have no plumbing experience to base this on. It also seems unlikely to me that air would be trapped downstairs in a pipe running from the bottom to the top of the house!

I bled all the radiators three weeks ago (first time in two years). Most had no air in, although one upstairs rad had a significant amount. When I bleed the radiators now there appears to be no further air. Also the pressure in the system seems to remain constant at 1 bar.

Any views on this and/or advice would be gratefully received. If air is the cause, would draining and refilling the system definitely solve it? If it is pipes rubbing against something, is there any option apart from pulling the house down???

The pipes run straight from the boiler to the ceiling (a distance of about one foot) without clips.

Being honest, it could be many things. But when working on new work, I have sometimes noticed that second fix carpenters often cut boards tightly around pipes to make them look neat.

The problem is of course it doesn't allow for expansion and when the pipes start to expand you get all kinds of noise. Often if its through plaster board or possibly flooring the whole floor or plaster board area acts as a sound board and can be heard all over the place.

Quick fix - melt some candle wax into where the pipe passes through the ceiling / boards etc (assuming you can get access to the loft or wherever).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy Pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, hope someone can help with this. My central heating system has a Worcester gas combi boiler, paired with a nest thermostat and a megaflo cylinder. When the boiler starts in the morning, the radiators start to warm up ok, but this is accompanied by a loud whining of the pipes attached to the...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented indirect hot water system to improve pressure in the house. The previous cylinders are in the loft now they’re in the garage next to the boiler. We...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock