Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy Pipes when flushing Loo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

This recently started... every time the Loo is flushed the pipes are noisy when filling again and it gets worse as the day goes on...

If another tap in the bathroom is run the noise reduces and if the bath tap is opened fully the noise stops, also if I close the filling valve at the cistern until all the water in the cistern is gone and then open the valve again to fill....no noise!

I'm thinking of replacing the flushing valve as this was replaced a few years ago but has been OK since and still working but thinking it may have something to do with the flushing/filling mechanism?

Any thoughts if I'm doing the right thing.. :)

Cheers

You are correct, the noise is called "water hammer" and float operated valves are in my experience the most common cause of water hammer. Whilst some valves are serviceable, getting the correct seals/washer can be problematic.

At the cost of a good quality fill valve it is almost always worth replacing.

If you post a picture of the inside of your toilet cistern we can advise on what to buy and how to replace it if you want to do the job yourself.

If it's an old fashioned fill valve, arm and float then just change the rubber washer. Failing that then replace the whole valve with a brass shanked fluid master.

You are correct, the noise is called "water hammer" and float operated valves are in my experience the most common cause of water hammer. Whilst some valves are serviceable, getting the correct seals/washer can be problematic.

If you post a picture of the inside of your toilet cistern we can advise on what to buy and how to replace it if you want to do the job yourself.

Thanks for the reply...I'm working away this week but will be home for the weekend so I'll do that and post a picture, the one in just now was replaced by myself a few years back and was from Screwfix I think....not an expensive one

Cheers!

If it's an old fashioned fill valve, arm and float then just change the rubber washer. Failing that then replace the whole valve with a brass shanked fluid master.
As you might be able to see from the pics, there is no overflow pipe from the cistern, as far as I'm aware if it got too full the water would drain into the bowl via the valve...would this be correct?

Attachments

• 20191012_115652.jpg
    20191012_115652.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20191012_115659.jpg
    20191012_115659.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 7
The syphon looks like a modern one so almost certainly will work as the overflow and into the pan. One easy way to find out for certain though, hold the float arm down until the water reaches the highest part of the syphon and see if it runs into the pan before it reaches those screw holes.

I am 99% certain it will.

Going to go for a new flushing valve, fairly cheap from Screwfix....cheers for the advice it's much appreciated
[automerge]1570969440[/automerge]
The syphon looks like a modern one so almost certainly will work as the overflow and into the pan. One easy way to find out for certain though, hold the float arm down until the water reaches the highest part of the syphon and see if it runs into the pan before it reaches those screw holes.

I am 99% certain it will.
Cheers...held the float ball down and it did start running into the pan when it reached the top of the syphon...thanks for the advice :)
[automerge]1570969599[/automerge]
Rubber washer has dirt or slight blockage on filling causing the noise.
Replace rubber diagram
Quick fix for any plumber
cheers for the advice, going to replace the valve as it's cheap enough..thanks :)

Replaced the fill valve with a flomaster with brass shank £7,29 from Screwfix, fluidmaster width was 90mm and the flomaster was 70mm which is a better fit in the cistern since the entry is close to the syphon.

All good and no 'waterhammer' :)

Cheers for the advice lads....much appreciated

This can be due to a variety of reasons, the most common being a faulty ballcock mechanism. Take the lid of your toilet’s tank whilst it’s flushing and determine whether the whistling stops after the tank has refilled – if it does then you know it’s the ballcock to blame! Whilst ballcock valves can be repaired, it may often be easier to replace the whole mechanism.

If there’s a hissing that continues after the tank has refilled, you may be dealing with an overflow problem. Check if the water is flowing into the overflow pipe. If it is, you may have to adjust the ballcock mechanism (usually bending the float arm slightly downward will do it).

Faucet problems may also be a problem on a toilet if the source of the noise isn’t coming from the tank. Again, it may be something as simple as a loose screw or worn washer.

This can be due to a variety of reasons, the most common being a faulty ballcock mechanism. Take the lid of your toilet’s tank whilst it’s flushing and determine whether the whistling stops after the tank has refilled – if it does then you know it’s the ballcock to blame! Whilst ballcock valves can be repaired, it may often be easier to replace the whole mechanism.

If there’s a hissing that continues after the tank has refilled, you may be dealing with an overflow problem. Check if the water is flowing into the overflow pipe. If it is, you may have to adjust the ballcock mechanism (usually bending the float arm slightly downward will do it).

Faucet problems may also be a problem on a toilet if the source of the noise isn’t coming from the tank. Again, it may be something as simple as a loose screw or worn washer.

It was the ballcock mechanism, I replaced the fill valve with a flomaster from Screwfix....all good now :) nice to know that if it's flushed during the night....the whole street isn't awakened lol

Cheers for the info

Reply to Noisy Pipes when flushing Loo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock