Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy grundfos pump central heating in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
My pump has started making a loud rattling noise.
I’ve undone the screw at the front and no air escaped!
Any ideas would be most welcome thanks

Is the pump in an airing cupboard with a hot water cylinder? If so and depending on the age of the system its most likely a fully pumped system, at least it should be. This means the circulating pump is used on both CH and HW demand. If you've isolated the system to prevent the noise then turn on your immersion heater

Is the pump in an airing cupboard with a hot water cylinder? If so and depending on the age of the system its most likely a fully pumped system, at least it should be. This means the circulating pump is used on both CH and HW demand. If you've isolated the system to prevent the noise then turn on your immersion heater

Yes it’s in the airing cupboard.
Oh I will turn it back on then and off tonight as it’s so loud it will keep my son awake.
In your opinion would you suggest a new pump? Many thanks for your response

A typical sound of bearings gone bad is them screaming and rattling at you. I work with oil boilers and bearings going/gone on an electric motor produce the same sort of sound, the thing is with an electric motor on a boiler, if the bearings are caught/replaced soon enough then you save the windings on the motor from burning out and the need for a whole new motor. IF it is the bearings on the pump its only a matter of time before it seizes up, someone might be able to replace just the bearings but its not something I have ever done, for the cost of a new pump I would just swap it out. However I would want to be sure that was the problem before commencing the work.
An age old trick with bearings is a metal shafted screwdriver to the body of the pump or motor etc and stick your ear to the insulated handle, if the screaming and whining you're hearing at the moment is amplified by doing that then yes have it replaced.

Depending on the pump, and as long as the water ways are clear and the pump valves hold a new head could be fitted.

Reply to Noisy grundfos pump central heating in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock