Search the forum,

Discuss Noisey Central Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kwhizz

I had thermostatic valves added to some of my radiators in the house this year. Ever since doing so, the pipes make a clicking and clunking sound everytime the heating comes on or goes off. Is this a coincidence or do the valves cause this noise. I assume it is air in the system. can someone help please????

Kwhizz, sounds like expansion noises possibly caused when the pipes were disturbed fitting the new valves :) May be just oe or two ... you could check to see if you can pinpoint the source maybe?

thank you diamondgas, is it something I can do? I am just your normal home DIY bloke.

Is this a coincidence or do the valves cause this noise.
Turn the TRVs to max and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the noise is due to the TRV opening and closing. If the system is correctly balanced you should not get any noise.

I have tried the TRV's onto max but this is still very noisey when it comes on and goes off. Would I be right in saying that I will need to get someone in to balance my system, I'm not sure what this involves.

I have tried the TRV's onto max but this is still very noisey when it comes on and goes off. Would I be right in saying that I will need to get someone in to balance my system, I'm not sure what this involves.

If the noises you encounter are due to expansion and contraction of the pipes as they heat up then ballancing will not stop it occuring. It is possible that some of the pipes have been moved in the process of replacing the valves and indeed one or two may well be now rubbing up against the floorboards. This could account for the noises you are experiencing IMO .... If that is the case then to find out which one it is, turn all the TV's off and set your heating away heating up. Check for noises! If it is one of the radiator supplies then turning them on one at a time and seeing which one makes expansion noises can help pinpoint the source.... But first of all see if there is any noise with the new valved radiators turned off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisey Central Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to winter we started putting the central heating on. The central heating has a mind of its on it’s really strange iv never experienced this We put the heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock