Search the forum,

Discuss Noise Coming from Loft Water storage tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wild nomad

Hi there,

Just had the following email from one of my customers:

''we have a very loud noise coming from the loft like an underground train. It is intermittent but quite alarming at times accompanied by a banging noise.''

This is about a month or so after I installed a new CWSC and F&E tank. All building regs and British standards were adhered to. It sounds a lot like water hammer to me.

The old float valve they had was letting by some what so the new one maybe causing water hammer because it's working too well. I could look at putting in more clips and an arrester but since I can't get round to look at it till the weekend thought I'd have a brain storm with you guys and see if anyone can think of what it might be if it's not water hammer.

Thanks in advance :)

Might need a few more clips. I had a new one that resonated, fitted a bit of 3 x 2 and a couple more clips and it was sorted.

I know its new but it wouldnt surprise me that the diaphragms went already, wouldnt think so but you never now , or it may be the stopcock hammering , is the stopcock new or is it the original one ,

I know its new but it wouldnt surprise me that the diaphragms went already, wouldnt think so but you never now , or it may be the stopcock hammering , is the stopcock new or is it the original one ,

Yes, original stopcock located in the kitchen.

No i mean stopcock to isolate the tank in loft ? soz

Sounds like the ball valve is oscillating, close the incoming stop valve slightly to reduce the incoming flow, otherwise use a larger ballfloat or damping plate fitted to the ball valve lever, alternatively baffle vanes fitted inside the cistern to prevent waves from forming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noise Coming from Loft Water storage tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. The overflow pipe drips intermittently from the large cold water storage tank in the loft. Not the small F and E tank. The ball valve has been checked and is working ok. The vent pipe from the hot water cylinder is not venting any water into the tank, and the...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi. Please can anyone help. My mum has just sent me this video of her airing cupboard. She had put the imersion heater on to warm the water for a shower when she noticed this horrendous noise. Can anybody shed any light on it ? She has BG cover but before calling them I thought I’d post here...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all - hoping someone knowledgeable can help as I'm super confused by this.... I have a standard system / gravity fed boiler, large cold tank in attic, hot water tank in airing cupboard etc. I recently found that the hot water coupling into my shower pump (salamander) had sheared (the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock