Search the forum,

Discuss No water in hot taps -pressurised system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I am new too the forum. I know nothing about plumbing so I hope somebody can advise...

In 2011 I had a pressurised water system installed - condenser boiler, cylinder, radiators, etc. Also installed was a solar thermal panel (evacuated tubes). Last month I had the solar system drained down prior to the panel being removed for roof re-tiling. Now there is no water in any hot tap. The cold taps are fine but the shower has no water at all.

When the solar system was drained down, I did ask the heating engineer if this would affect the boiler heated water system but he told me that it would not as the two systems are separate.

Yesterday, I had a plumber look at it and he said there in no water flowing through the cold inlet to the cylinder. He said that replacing a valve/tap in that part of the system would solve the problem - £500 to supply and install.

My question: Is it possible that draining down the solar thermal system could have affected the boiler heated water system? I don't want to pay £500 to replace a valve only to find out that it does not solve the problem.

Is there any flow of water from the hot taps?

No - there was no water from any of the hot taps. I had another plumber come round today. He removed the suspect problem valve - it was the non-return valve and not the pressure reducing valve which was at fault.

He poked around in the pipe down-flow from the valve and found a piece of plastic. So the non-return valve had perished and part of it had come away and was blocking the pipe. He said he would need to order a new non-return valve. In the meantime, he put the malfunctioning non-return valve back in the system and said we can use the hot water until the valve is replaced with a new one - hopefully this week.

There is now (cold) water flowing from the hot taps but am I okay to fire up the boiler to heat the water? As I understand it, the non-return valve stops hot water getting into the cold water supply. I would rather live without hot water for a couple of days than create any further problems.

Reply to No water in hot taps -pressurised system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock