Search the forum,

Discuss no running hot water at all. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hussy

hey folks
I have gas central heating system with cylinder and FE tank in loft space. I changed by bath taps, turning off the cold and hot water. All went well but then my aunt turned on the heating will I was working on the taps. When I went to turn on the hot water after taps installed there was not running hot water.
I got the heating turned off. I checked all my gate valves, I connected the mains cold feed to the hot and flushed through with mains pressure. Water came through each hot tap but only for a moment after the cold mains was turned off.
I am not sure what else to try.
Any ideas.

Hi Probably an air lock. Use a hose and blow a bit of cold mains up a hot tap for say 20 seconds.

You can do it from a kitchen mixer tap. Haold your hand over the end of the tap and open the hot, then open the cold slowly. You can feel the pressure build and it will push the air lock out via the expansion pipe. Some mixer taps have a black diverter on the end of the tap that may need to be unscrewed first.

I tried the method of connecting the mains cold feed to the hot and made several attempts to blast the air out. I used the method of connecting the washing machine cold to the hot, bot open etc and use the mains pressure. I had all hot taps closed and the mains water ran straight out of the venting pipe, I opened each hot tap individually and water ran out of them one by one. Afterwards, water trickled out of the hot taps for a moment then stopped.

Going to try the method of connecting hose end to mains and Cold feed pipe, then I will try to boil the immersion tank etc. then I will try connecting hose end to mains and vent pipe
any advice on this.

Hi. Are you sure the gate valve to cylinder has opened (on occasions the gate stays jammed and spindle snaps)

hey guys thanks
got the problem fixed after trying everything in a method of methodical madness, eventually took advice and checked my new gate valve which was indeed jammed...................................silly bugger

thanks to everyone for many suggestions. I got a plumber in after trying so many alternatives to fix. The plumber fixed in 10 mins, amazing, just amazing.

The gate valve fix did nothing lol

Hi is the F+E and the cylinder in the losft space, as you say, and is the f+e sited above the cylinder here... and or is the f+e built into the same cylinder??

spanner..

You can do it from a kitchen mixer tap. Haold your hand over the end of the tap and open the hot, then open the cold slowly. You can feel the pressure build and it will push the air lock out via the expansion pipe. Some mixer taps have a black diverter on the end of the tap that may need to be unscrewed first.

Thank you so much for the tip, a real big help after my husband installed our new bath.

'Princess Manolo'

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are trying to force an airlock back up the hot water pipes, you need to make sure that your 2/3 port valve is in the right position otherwise it won't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to no running hot water at all. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock