Search the forum,

Discuss No pressure to mains water meter in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We’ve purchased a 1920’s bungalow that’s been unoccupied for a long time. I’m in the process of trying to sort the water supply at the moment.
The water meter was submerged and when drained would quickly fill up again, we had south west water take a look, they said it was a leak on the service side connection and replaced the bottom part of the meter.

I’ve isolated the incoming main at the house. When I cut the pipe it was pressurised but quickly lost pressure, I guess because it’s stopped at the meter.

right now if I turn the meter on, we get nothing. The meter doesn’t spin, we get no leak dial spinning and I can’t feel any pressure when it opens.
I need to contact south west water again but it feels like it’s been isolated before the meter. I’ve checked with the neighbours and they all have normal supply with their own meter + stopcock.

I found this under a cover at the roadside, can anyone tell me what it is and if it could be the source of the issue?
29A59B03-C7BD-4E0C-B195-931F2F45CCBA.jpeg

95564121-747E-4CD1-981A-189B0BF8E478.jpeg

BE68E4CC-D474-4302-8BF6-3EC5BC8E0078.jpeg

i started this process with southwest water back in November and this is how far we’ve got, hence why I’m asking here. any help appreciated!

I found this under a cover at the roadside, can anyone tell me what it is and if it could be the source of the issue?
It's a fire hydrant. Nothing to do with your issue. Leave it well alone.

Don't touch anything that is not on 'your side' of the meter, contact SWW for advice.

Is that a meter above the FH valve? If so is it normal to have a meter?
The white thing is the outlet, square blue thing operates the valve and mates with the fireman's key.

Standpipes come with their own meters. If your house burns down the water company generously allows the fire service to use their water to help put it out. I assume this is one of their statutary duties because I'd bet they'd charge for it if they could.

Reply to No pressure to mains water meter in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I cannot isolate my toilet water supply for a quick-fix, as the valve/tap is buried beneath tiling by whoever built the place. All other taps in the flat just isolate the kitchen. Is the green switch next to my water meter in this blurry photo a stopcock? It is underwater because there seems...
Replies
Views
Hi- In an apartment and the attached picture is what I have. I am looking to install a magnetic descaler on the main water line and want to know if the cylindrical thing is a meter (I don't pay for water as part of rent) and why the ball valve is 1/2 shut on what appears to be the main pipe I...
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good thing as my mother in law pours tonnes of water on the garden in summer, mostly watering weeds as she can't tell the difference from grass. But the...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock