Search the forum,

Discuss NO I AM NOT AN UNDERFLOOR HEATING EXPERT! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvest Fields

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I am no underfloor heating expert. But would be grateful for any help. Can someone tell me why when the UFH is on and nothing else is on. The radiators get hot. And no it's not the 2 port valves. They are both cold both sides? But somehow the return pipe for the heating gets hot? I'm thinking reversed circulation but cannot see where?:mad::mad:

Sounds like reverse circulation. Can only be that if the 2 ports are cold.

Good question though, never came across this type of issue. But if You both think it's the reverse circulation then how does that work

Easiest is to put a non return valve on the heating circuit return just before it tees back on.

My responses are a little slow and out of sink as my posts have to be ok'd.

Non return valve between the two should do the job if the returns are exposed.

Easiest is to put a non return valve on the heating circuit return just before it tees back on.

My responses are a little slow and out of sink as my posts have to be ok'd.
No worries mate. Been a naughty boy?:p

So I have been back and fitted the non return valves. The rads are still coming on when the UFH is on? Any more ideas?

Blimey weird one this , is there a pump on the heating and one on the UFH or has sombody tried to use just one ? Bypass anywhere ?

Is it all the rads or just some ?

I would bet the underfloor return is teed into the heating return. Then teed into the main return.
I should have a dedicated flow and return from the mains.
And so should all other zones too

When the underfloor comes on does the flow or return get hot first
Need to go back and check as it was late and left the owner to test. But have fitted non return on all returns as the are all exposed in the loft. So doubt it is the returns getting hot.

Need to go back and check as it was late and left the owner to test. But have fitted non return on all returns as the are all exposed in the loft. So doubt it is the returns getting hot.

Unless the rads are on the manifold it's got to be coming through the return

That's is exactly what I am thinking. But I cannot see where. I will go back and check however all three returns are all on the pipework back to the boiler in the loft next to the cylinder

Cheers mate. I get the concept. Just don't get why it's doing it now. When it has not for the last 6 years. The owner has not had any work done either.

That was for Matchless because he asked how reverse circulation works so I just put up a quick post to the diagram. I hope you find what's going on with your problem, it's a bit baffling for sure.

That was for Matchless because he asked how reverse circulation works so I just put up a quick post to the diagram. I hope you find what's going on with your problem, it's a bit baffling for sure.
No worries my post sounded harsh but was not meant in that was either

Do you have access to Thermal imaging? ... I've got a FLIR that plugs into the bottom of my phone, use it on UFH all the time, will show you where and how the heat is moving around, if you let the system all go cold then return the next day hopefully that will shed some light on the problem

Do you have access to Thermal imaging? . I've got a FLIR that plugs into the bottom of my phone, use it on UFH all the time, will show you where and how the heat is moving around, if you let the system all go cold then return the next day hopefully that will shed some light on the problem
What model of flir have your got if you don't mind me asking

Flir One for ios, i've hire £4000 worth of Thermal imaging in the past and while the Flir is not at that level of imaging it's amazing value for money and definitely up to the job.... i had a job recently in a school that had 7 manifolds supplying 30 zones all with rf stats, the loops hadn't been laid to the drawings, but the stats had been associated to the drawing resulting in stats calling zones they weren't in .... I worked through the building one loop at a time tracing it's route with the Flir and marking up the manifolds, i then cleared the channels on the controllers and repaired all the stats correctly, was a long process and took 2 days, but couldn't have done it without thermal imaging and drastically cheaper than buying/ hiring a £4k camera :)

Flir One for ios, i've hire £4000 worth of Thermal imaging in the past and while the Flir is not at that level of imaging it's amazing value for money and definitely up to the job.. i had a job recently in a school that had 7 manifolds supplying 30 zones all with rf stats, the loops hadn't been laid to the drawings, but the stats had been associated to the drawing resulting in stats calling zones they weren't in .. I worked through the building one loop at a time tracing it's route with the Flir and marking up the manifolds, i then cleared the channels on the controllers and repaired all the stats correctly, was a long process and took 2 days, but couldn't have done it without thermal imaging and drastically cheaper than buying/ hiring a £4k camera :)
Thanks a lot for your reply is much appreciated. Do you remember what model it was ? Must have been a massive help and a relief for you

Thanks a lot for your reply is much appreciated. Do you remember what model it was ? Must have been a massive help and a relief for you
The model is a Flir one for iOS. Type it into google mate. It will come up. I have just done the same. Just over £200.00

Is not a bad price if you need to use a flir camera. Does this model do the job if so that's not bad, I guess quite a good investment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NO I AM NOT AN UNDERFLOOR HEATING EXPERT! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock