Search the forum,

Discuss No hot water upstairs in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

all of a sudden there is no hot water coming out of the taps upstairs, well sometimes it will get warm for a couple of minute then go stone cold. When I turn on the hot water the boiler doesn’t even kick up, odd occasion it will then straight off and it’s back to cold.

the hot water downstairs works fine, turn on the tap, boiler kicks up and the water is boiling with in minutes.

Can anyone shed any light as to why this is?

thanks !

Dodgy mixer tap or shower valve.
It wasn’t that, a nice chap got in touch with me when I posted the job on my builder, told me to vent the radiators and one was full of air and then just topped the pressure up from the boiler and was sorted 👌

The problem has retuned ffs
Lol. Thanks for the update 😫.

The heating circuit (what you bled and topped up) is separate from your domestic water services.

I assume you’ve got a combi?

Is it all outlets upstairs that have this problem?

What are the outlets? 1 x shower, 1 x basin?

Are they all thermostatic?

Have you noticed anything funny/difficult to set a temp with the shower?

Can you turn off the cold supply one at a time to the basin/shower and see if you then get hot water? If you turn off cold to the shower and then you get hot at the shower/basin, it means that the thermostatic shower cartridge is faulty/passing cold into the hot.

If you can’t get to valves to turn off the cold, try setting the shower/basin to fully hot and test, then fully cold and test.

The heating circuit (what you bled and topped up) is separate from your domestic water services.

Can you turn off the cold supply one at a time to the basin/shower and see if you then get hot water? If you turn off cold to the shower and then you get hot at the shower/basin, it means that the thermostatic shower cartridge is faulty/passing cold into the hot.

If you can’t get to valves to turn off the cold, try setting the shower/basin to fully hot and test, then fully cold and

If you can’t get to valves to turn off the cold, try setting the shower/basin to fully hot and test, then fully cold and test.
yes mate we’ve got a combi, yep we’ve got the shower and sink.

not sure what you mean by thermostatic? usually when you set the shower to how you want it that’s how it is but it’s hot for a few minutes then goes and the light goes off the boiler.

Iv tried it both on cold and hot and the boiler just doesn’t kick in, god knows what happened to it but it was fine around a week ago

yes mate we’ve got a combi, yep we’ve got the shower and sink.

not sure what you mean by thermostatic? usually when you set the shower to how you want it that’s how it is but it’s hot for a few minutes then goes and the light goes off the boiler.

Iv tried it both on cold and hot and the boiler just doesn’t kick in, god knows what happened to it but it was fine around a week ago
Can you turn the cold off to the shower? And then just run it hot and see if it stays on?

I’d also, run the basin hot tap (if you can), until the supply pipe under the tap goes hot. The close the basin tap and run the shower on hot. As soon as you put the shower on hot, feel the hot pipe under the basin, does it get cold quick (like cold water started to flow through it).

If you can test and relay the results, we might get somewhere.

Can you turn the cold off to the shower? And then just run it hot and see if it stays on?

I’d also, run the basin hot tap (if you can), until the supply pipe under the tap goes hot. The close the basin tap and run the shower on hot. As soon as you put the shower on hot, feel the hot pipe under the basin, does it get cold quick (like cold water started to flow through it).

If you can test and relay the results, we might get somewhere.
I can’t turn the cold off to the shower mate, I’m running the tap as the taps running and there’s nothing at all not hot water boiler is not flicking on or anything,

Can you get to valves on the kitchen tap? Turn off the cold and see if that changes anything.

You are getting hot water downstairs with a hot tap only opened but not upstairs with a hot tap only opened, if the hot tap flow upstairs for whatever reason is less than 2.5 to 3 LPM then a flow switch in the combi will stop it firing, see how long it takes to fill a 1 litre jug/bottle.

You are getting hot water downstairs with a hot tap only opened but not upstairs with a hot tap only opened, if the hot tap flow upstairs for whatever reason is less than 2.5 to 3 LPM then a flow switch in the combi will stop it firing, see how long it takes to fill a 1 litre jug/bottle.
It’s filling a 1L bottle in 0.8.36?

Attachments

• 3986619F-6CA3-4E00-8A05-3BA80BD00F4B.jpeg
    3986619F-6CA3-4E00-8A05-3BA80BD00F4B.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 8
Iv just discovered if you put the heating on while running upstairs tap and shower it works fine? Or I may be coincidence but it wasn’t working 2 minute before I tried that

It’s filling a 1L bottle in 0.8.36?
That's >
Iv just discovered if you put the heating on while running upstairs tap and shower it works fine? Or I may be coincidence but it wasn’t working 2 minute before I tried that
Switch off the C heating but leave both the hot tap and the shower on and see if water still hot, the tap alone at > 7 LPM should keep the flow switch very happy but it may be faulty, also measure the hot tap flow rate downstairs only but all upstairs shut down.

That's >

Switch off the C heating but leave both the hot tap and the shower on and see if water still hot, the tap alone at > 7 LPM should keep the flow switch very happy but it may be faulty, also measure the hot tap flow rate downstairs only but all upstairs shut down.
No mates it’s not hot now Iv turned it off

So no hot water upstairs with hot tap and shower on but C.heating off, is downstairs still hot on its own?. (also flowrate)

I’ll get flow rate in morning bud,

yes hot water down is fine with out central heating. But Iv been told to put the heating on for 20 min and check all radiators and one in my boys bedroom upstairs doesn’t get hot.

i went to turn it off and thought I’d check pressure first, it was on 2 and the needle was shaking all over as soon as I turned dial to turn heating off it went straight back down to 1.5?

what boiler is it, from description your tap upstairs does not have enough flow to allow the hot water flow switch to activate. It is more Than likely a boiler problem so get a RGI to look at it

Could be the flow switch but strange that no hot water upstairs with both hot tap and shower both on, hot tap gives > 7 LPM on its own, hot tap downstairs may give a very high flowrate but does look like boiler (oil or gas) fault.

We’ve spoke to a few people today and they have suggested it could be the Diverter valve or something? Does this sound like something it could be?

I said flow switch to make it easier for you to understand that is why I asked which model of boiler is it

If its still producing hot water downstairs can you measure the hot tap flow only, this will help to confirm that its the flow switch problem.

Quick update,

just had a guy out he says it’s a passing mixer something about water just keeps going round that’s why it’s going cold so we’ve ordered one he’s told me how to do it so wish me luck

Reply to No hot water upstairs in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock