Search the forum,

Discuss No Hot Water Unless Heating is On in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have an old Bermuda back boiler, and 7 radiators (6 with thermostatic valves, and one that doesn't which is upstairs in the bathroom). There are 3 radiators on the ground floor, and 4 on the first floor. The problem is that I don't get any hot water unless the heating is on at the same time as the water. I've tried turning off all thermostatic valves on the radiators, except from the bathroom which doesn't turn off. This makes no difference even if I leave the water/heating on for more than 10 hours. The water would only start getting hot if I turn on at least 3 of the radiators (not including the bathroom which can't be turned off). I also don't have a central thermostat. I have a gravity fed gas central heating system. I hope someone can give me some advice on how I can get hot water without having the heating on. Thanks.

If it’s really a gravity fed system, then to overcome your issue you need to upgrade to a fully pumped system and update the controls. Are you sure it’s gravity fed or are you getting confused with terminology?

If it’s really a gravity fed system, then to overcome your issue you need to upgrade to a fully pumped system and update the controls. Are you sure it’s gravity fed or are you getting confused with terminology?
Thanks for your reply. I probably am getting confused with the terminology. How would I tell if it is gravity fed or not? If I do have to upgrade to a pumped system and controls, would you know roughly what the costs would be. I know it would depend on the work involved, but just looking for a range of possibilities. Thanks.

Most Bermuda back boiler systems were gravity.
It isn’t worth upgrading this to fully pumped in reality- these boilers are 70% efficient at best and this is the reason they are no longer made and I think illegal to install now.
You would be well advised to update your system to a modern condensing boiler.

Gravity systems worked / work as below,

The choice was / is;
Hot Water
or
Hot water and Heating, (no option to have Heating only.)

For Hot water, only the boiler is on and usually the bathroom radiator was connected to the cylinder gravity flow / return so was also on.
For Hot water and Heating, the boiler and pump are on, so radiators should be on, hot water cylinder will get some boiler flow as will the bathroom radiator.

What programmer is controlling this system as it may have been changed and not set correctly or is not suitable for a gravity system.?

Most Bermuda back boiler systems were gravity.
It isn’t worth upgrading this to fully pumped in reality- these boilers are 70% efficient at best and this is the reason they are no longer made and I think illegal to install now.
You would be well advised to update your system to a modern condensing boiler.
Thanks for your advice. I think that's the way I'll have to go.

Gravity systems worked / work as below,

The choice was / is;
Hot Water
or
Hot water and Heating, (no option to have Heating only.)

For Hot water, only the boiler is on and usually the bathroom radiator was connected to the cylinder gravity flow / return so was also on.
For Hot water and Heating, the boiler and pump are on, so radiators should be on, hot water cylinder will get some boiler flow as will the bathroom radiator.

What programmer is controlling this system as it may have been changed and not set correctly or is not suitable for a gravity system.?
Ah, so that's why I have to have both on just to get hot water. I'm not sure what programmer is controlling the system, but I'll check when I get home from work and post back. Thanks.

Ah, so that's why I have to have both on just to get hot water. I'm not sure what programmer is controlling the system, but I'll check when I get home from work and post back. Thanks.
You have misunderstood that information above. You (if it is gravity hot water) can have Hot water only or hot water and heating. You cannot have heating only and you do not have to have heating on to get hot water.

There is a possibility of an air lock, blockage or something else preventing the hot water from working.

Reply to No Hot Water Unless Heating is On in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock