Search the forum,

Discuss No hot water if the heating is running, but otherwise okay. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a strange fault with a Vaillant EcoTec combi-boiler.

It's 100% reliable whenever the heating is called for, ie. by the room-stats.
It's also 100% reliable when hot water is called for, ie. hot tap or shower, as long as the heating isn't running at the time. But if the heating is already running when hot water is called for, the bolier fails to re-light after the diverter valve has operated. The flame light is flicking on, suggesting it's sparking, but presumably the gas valve isn't opening because it doesn't re-light and after several attempts locks out.

We're limping along by turning down the room stats before we run the hot water. So far we've changed the spark electrode, the HT lead and now the main PCB but made no difference... now stumped, any ideas?

Don’t know why you’ve guessed and changed parts. What error code do you get on lockout? Which model/year of Ecotec?

Don’t know why you’ve guessed and changed parts. What error code do you get on lockout? Which model/year of Ecotec?
Hi Chris, thanks for replying. It's a 2010 EcoTec pro 28. F28 error but it's too general as of course I know it fails to light because I watch it trying to light and failing.
For me the key point is that this only happens if the heating is running when we turn on the hot water. I can see the flame extinguish. I can hear the diverter valve operate. I can see the flame light flashing, but it doesn't ignite and after several attempts it locks out... and of course after a while the hot water runs cold. Contrast that with when the heating is not running. I open the hot tap, I hear the diverter value operate, I see the flame light staying on... and of course, after a while the water runs hot.

Components need testing and check the condensate pipe is clear

Closed time to get a gas safe engineer out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No hot water if the heating is running, but otherwise okay. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock