Search the forum,

Discuss No hot water but central heating is working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, our house has a conventional boiler and gravity fed cylinder system (please excuse any poor descriptions as I am a plumbing layman). Woke up yesterday to find that we weren't getting any hot water from taps or showers. Our central heating is working fine, all radiators heating as they should be. We heard a gurgling noise either in our water tank or the pipes around it in the airing cupboard in the night before the hot water stopped, which I'm guessing is linked to the issue. In the morning my wife was able to have a shower but since that point we've had no more hot water.
Does anyone have an idea what has happened? And is there any quick fix or anything I can check before getting somebody to have a look?

I probably don't have the answer - but for clarity is the problem:
1) The water from the hot taps is not hot
2) There is no water flow from the hot taps

My assumption would be the former, and without knowing the system - could be a sticky/jammed diverter valve

I'll add the caveat that I'm a DIYer (engineer by trade) so still learning myself - but it sounds a lot like a sticky/jammed/failed diverter valve... boiler still working, water still getting to tank - although no idea on the gurgling noise.

If you can access the diverter valve then manually set it across to feed the hot water tank and turn the HW timer on/create a call for heat, and see if you have any joy with that. (plenty of videos on youtube which will show you how better than I can describe!)

Motorised valve (2/3 port not diverting heated water properly) , failed cylinder stat, cylinder stat set too low? If it’s not a fully pumped system then could be an air lock.

Have you got a working immersion heater that will get you out of the ****.
The problem is one of the above comments, however it should be an easy problem to diagnose as for fixing it , well !!!! depends what it is

Reply to No hot water but central heating is working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock