Search the forum,

Discuss No flush before new boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Homeowner here and would be really grateful of any feedback. I've had a new combi boiler installed into a 25y/o house yesterday.

Now the boilers intermittently v loud and intermittently not giving hot for a little while. Signs it seems (tho not a professional) of the system being dirty and clogging the heat exchange / pump of our brand spanking new boiler?

The water's also v black on the radiators.

The installer has said they only did a "system flush" and want to sell me an additional power flush.

Would you guys consider this unreasonable or do I need to bite the bullet for being naive and not delving into fine print?

For me on an install I usually advise a powerflush but unless there is a clear issue I would likely just do a chemical flush.
Just draining system does not constitute a system flush.
Check your benchmark certificate in back of manual and see what system cleaner is listed, if none is listed (or not filled in) then I'd say you've got a good case against installer if the installation instructions state that system MUST be flushed.

Did they install a magnetic filter in the system?

Hi scott_d the quote included "system flush" and included a magnetic filter (which is fitted)

*edit Thanks Knappers. I've got the boiler manual with details about flue type and gas pressure etc. but not a benchmark certificate - should there always be one of these?

The best job would include testing the water or include a powerflush anyway. For me with a straight swap its not practical as quotes would always come out too expensive and I'd not get any work.

Hi scott_d the quote included "system flush" and included a magnetic filter (which is fitted)

*edit Thanks Knappers. I've got the boiler manual with details about flue type and gas pressure etc. but not a benchmark certificate - should there always be one of these?
In back of installation manual (usually last page)

In back of installation manual (usually last page)
Cheers found it - says

"Yes"
brand is blank
product "x800"
and inhibitor "x300"

Rads were only hot for about 30 mins until they finished and not all valves were turned to on.

Could they have actually done a proper job but I should've specified a more in depth clean?

If the system water is black that is a serious sign of system fouling. A cold flush probably won't be enough and a powerflush would be advised.

If they did a flush and fitted a filter and it's blocked up anyway then it may just be that it really needed a powerflush.
Expect £400-£500 and take solice in the fact that the guy that would have tested water and flushed automatically would likely have cost extra £800 on original install.

Cheers all. Looks like I just need to dig into my pockets (I've short arms!)

The installing engineer should have taken this into consideration. Magnetite or iron oxide appear because of a couple reasons.
Was the system originally open vented? Did you have air problems prior to the swap

X800 is a good flushing chemical, no way to know if any mistakes were made.
Sometimes it's just one of those things.
If it were my install then I'd probably give a favorable quote for the powerflush.

Cheers found it - says

"Yes"
brand is blank
product "x800"
and inhibitor "x300"

Rads were only hot for about 30 mins until they finished and not all valves were turned to on.

Could they have actually done a proper job but I should've specified a more in depth clean?
X800 and X300 sound like Sentinel which seems to be a quality brand. But X300 is not an inhibitor.

X800 is a fast-acting flush chemical for old systems and was probably the correct product. X300, however, is a new system cleanser designed to remove grease, flux, and copper filings and should be removed within 24 hours. Then the system should be drained and filled with an inhibitor (e.g. X100).

Is the guy a surgeon by trade who just does a bit of plumbing in his spare time, or just incapable of reading and following basic instructions? At this point I'd be calling Gas-Safe and saying you have safety concerns about your new system as I'd like to know what else he's got up to!

Last edited:
If dirt gets in the new boiler it can cause alot of problems and your warranty will be effected, a twenty five year old system will be choked will magnatite and it would take alot to remove, it needs doing before even thinking about fitting a new boiler in reality this doesn't happen engineers do the swap in a day or two this is just not enough time to carry out the nessesary work involved to do it properly the cleaning alone is a good days work flushing reapeatly to remove clean chemical s and dirt a magna cleanse has made this job alot easier but it's not a way to cut corners the better you clean the system the more efficient it will be. Kop

Attachments

• 20180418_162624.jpg
    20180418_162624.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210318_192405258.jpg
    PXL_20210318_192405258.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210318_183415168.jpg
    PXL_20210318_183415168.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210918-075432.png
    Screenshot_20210918-075432.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210918-075426.png
    Screenshot_20210918-075426.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210918-075600.png
    Screenshot_20210918-075600.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Two different jobs Ric one a existing alpha boiler kept locking out on high temperature so a alpha mag pro was installed it was chemically cleaned with the magna cleanse fitted , flushed the system that sorted it .

The Viessmann 222 upgrade the system was Hot flushed , a mains cold flush before removing the old boiler then chemically cleaned with the magna cleanse flushed and inhibitor added. No short cut here bud 😂. Kop

Reply to No flush before new boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock