• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss No bars on boiler - heating is not working in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I wanted to switch on the heating after the summer and noticed that there is zero bars on boiler and heating is not working. A while back we had fitted smart meters, company confirmed that the gas is communicating ok so there is no problem on supply.

When I opened valve on pipe to release some water to radiators, it did absolutely nothing. In the past this solution worked to bring the pressure up on the boiler. Not this time. The bars are zero and not moving up.

Any idea what else can I try? Boiler doesn't light up when switching on heating.

Many thanks in advance
Aleksandra

SimonG

Plumber
Esteemed Member
Reaction score
Top up the pressure on the boiler. Info in instructions for boiler. If you don't have them have a quick look online.

OP
A
Reaction score
Top up the pressure on the boiler. Info in instructions for boiler. If you don't have them have a quick look online.
I will need check some guides on my boiler as its old. "Topping up" on boiler is different than topping up by opening the valve on pipe like this?:
1568109754476.png
Post automatically merged:

Any pictures of what you have.
I will take photos of boiler and under boiler when I get home from work and hopefully you can help me guys.

Aleksandra

Stigster

Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you - I'll check it straight after work.
Just be aware that if you open both those black valve heads and the water still does not flow to pressurise the system, I've had a few over the years where the lever moves but doesn't open the valve and just slips on the spindle. Usually caused when the valve has been left closed for a long time and gets stiff and upon turning the black lever it looks like it should be opening it but it's not, the lever is just slipping around the spindle.

You should be fine and they will probably work but just so you know what's likely going on if they don't.

Dan

Admin
Reaction score
Worth noting that on mine, which the plumber bypassed the top up valve on the actual boiler and stuck a flexi valve on (legit?), when I turn those 2 black valves suddenly it shoots up the pressure very quickly. Like a tap on full.

So turn one fully open, and then with the 2nd, turn it really slow and listen for the water pressure. Leave it on low and wait rather than trying to rush it and turn it on full for a short period. It wont happen lol

OP
A
Reaction score
I got bars up now but heating still doesn't work.. It only lights up when I switch water heating not radiators... But worked for ester even without bars. No more ideas..
Post automatically merged:

Awesome. is it all working now?
As I've mentioned below unfortunately not. Heating is not kicking off.. No idea what else you to try. I got the bars up on Boer but still when I switch on heating, boiler is not lighting up 🤔

Attachments

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes