Search the forum,

Discuss Night storage tank temperature problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HFC

Hi,

I was just wondering if someone can explain something to me as I am very much a layman in these things and very new to immersion heating/Economy 7 (I have just moved in to a new rented flat). I have an immersion tank with two cylinders: a top tank one for the 'boost' and the lower tank for the Eco 7 night storage.

My night storage tank is set at 60 but the water is not very hot at all. I can stand under the shower without the cold tap on at this supposed 60. Surely this should be close to scalding me?! If the thermostat is set to the 60 degrees should the water not be at that temperature round about?? Conversely, if I put the boost on the water is piping hot at 60. I am not sure of the science here.

My letting agent says there is not an issue and I should turn the thermostat on the night tank up to 80 then if I want hot water. That may work but I bet at a greater cost on the electricity bills. And surely not the solution.

I have read something about sediment build up affecting temperature and I know the tank is old and I doubt maintained in recent times.

The water pump for the bath/shower is struggling too, particularly with the hot water. Could this be related?

I am not sure if I have made sense but I would love it if anyone has any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lower element probably burnt out & needs replacing!

First thing is to check the thermostat on the element, then go from there. Customer nearly wrecked his cylinder trying to get a bottom immersion out when it was only the thermostat.

Could just be the overheat popped out & needs resetting... Start with the basics!

Thank you for your advice. My letting agent says he doesn't really want to call out an electrician/plumber in case there is nothing wrong with it and then suddenly there is a huge bill to pay to cover this wasted visit (ÂŁ100s quoted to me) and that he can't ask his client (the landlord) to pay for that i.e. it would be my bill. He also said what if a new tank is need then it may be ÂŁ1000 plus! He can't say this to the client etc. Scaring me into shutting up and making do I think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just mention legionella risk. Its not working properly and its not your responsibility. Tell them you want it sorted.

Suggest they stop with there big mark up... A plumber could probably change the bottom element with 1st hours labour plus a 20 quid element

If the cylinder is heating it cant be the element , as simon says it will probably be stat .
What cylinder is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Night storage tank temperature problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I hope you are doing well. I have this water tank for hot water heated by a Baxi boiler or electrical heater. What is the recommended temperature on it? I see Danfoss ATC written near the knob. Is it what the end-user wants or there is a reason behind 50 or 60 Centigrade? I think it was...
Replies
Views
All of my London house plumbing is being redone, with a heatpump heating a DHW tank, and a hot water recirculation system. With the hot water normally at 50-55C in the tank, but occasionally heated to 70C for disinfection, I want to ensure a consistent end user experience, so thinking of...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hello. My mixer shower (non-electric) recently started running luke warm. I know this can happen at this time of year over winter but I've been in the property over 10 years and it's never been this bad before. The combi boiler was checked and is ok. The hot water from taps is uneffected and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock