Search the forum,

Discuss NIBE ASHPs - use 40W 24/7 - when off in the summer! in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Helping to audit an electric-only house with ASHps -NIBE kit installed into the new house in 2012.
2 ASHPs outside -each F2015.

I put on some monitoring of their electrical usage -each takes 40W night and day 24/7. It's August so they are off 99% of the time: but when off, still use 40W!
40W 24/7 is £50-£100 per year ( at today's / next months';s prices )

Q1 - has anyone ever measured the standby power of an ASHP ?
Q2 Do modern ASHPs also have such high standby power?
- (Domestic appliances( eg TVs) by law must be < 1W standby - but maybe that law does not apply to ASHPs.... or maybe these units are older than that law?)

PS - I use the Shelly.cloud devices to monitor current in the fusebox - really nice, and low cost system. 247 graphs of electricity usage - excellent for trouble-shooting. They use Current transformers -so are NOT in series with any loads. One device and 2 CTs is £60 - one off. No monthly fee; and a handy App to monitor remotely (assuming you can get wifi inside your fusebox)

Tbh 40w is nothing by the time you talk of the brains and displays and a pump cycling

Thanks for replying - have you ever measured external heat pump boxes? Would be interesting to know the newest devices consume.
You're right - it's not a huge number.

It's 40W per external heat pump box- so 80W for the install I'm helping with.
That's like leaving LED 20 lights on in the house - 24/7 !

~ £120 per year.
Every year

Enough to justify perhaps an upgrade to a newer PCB board in each one, maybe?

There about the same depending on make / manufacturer anywhere from 36w-100w as there always monitoring / sensors

There about the same depending on make / manufacturer anywhere from 36w-100w as there always monitoring / sensors
Thanks that's useful - where did you read those values?

always monitoring / sensors

Except... in Summer Mode - one of the Pumps will NEVER come on (except if for anti-frost reasons - or maybe to fire up once a week to stop it seizing).

It's poor design to need 40W - even with sensors - modern electronics needs very small power - look at all the RING/ NEST/eEvohome etc sensors that are battery powered and the batteries last months/years. they are down in milli-watts!

Manufacturer instructions

You will find the brain will be mains but the sender / receiver (eg dumb ) will be battery

Reply to NIBE ASHPs - use 40W 24/7 - when off in the summer! in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock