Search the forum,

Discuss Newly qualified gas engineer need advice on tools/training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys/gals

Just passed and I'm looking at building my tool kit, been buying odds and sods as I've gone along but i'm wondering where would be the best place to buy an analyser from? I've seen them advertised on eBay, facebook, gumtree but my concern is i don't want to be buying another guys stolen tools i know how much of an arse ache it is to have your stuff stolen.

I am also thinking about going to the manufacturer fault finding courses are there any that would be top of the list or ones to avoid?

thanks

Hi guys/gals

Just passed and I'm looking at building my tool kit, been buying odds and sods as I've gone along but i'm wondering where would be the best place to buy an analyser from? I've seen them advertised on eBay, facebook, gumtree but my concern is i don't want to be buying another guys stolen tools i know how much of an arse ache it is to have your stuff stolen.

I am also thinking about going to the manufacturer fault finding courses are there any that would be top of the list or ones to avoid?

thanks

eBay is ok and you get some good deals on there. Just read the reviews on the websites and see what percentage their ratings are. If your looking at an analyser I’d go for a new one.

Testo is what I use and have done for years , but recently used a kane and was very impressed with that and the servicing and calibration costs are reasonable where as testo can work out expensive as they age , both are good kits . Kop

Screenshot_20190405-062550_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-062212_Chrome.jpg

I have always had Testo. I think they're bob on!
They do a service and calibration deal which works out well. I can't see it mentioned in the post from KOP but it could just be me skim reading.
As far as the rest goes, buy good quality tools and equipment, look after them and they will look after you.
The fault finding course is something I know little about as I have never done one (things have changed a lot over the years) but if you're a bit green I would recommend getting old of an old Combi and stripping it down to study it and then strip the parts if need be to study them.
If you're registered (Gas) then send your number to @Harvest Fields or @ShaunCorbs and they will let you into the Gas Safe Registered only brigade headquarters.

You want a FGA.

Believe it or not, I bought a couple from JMW Limited and had them sent over to me.
Whatever the time difference, I had a bloke knocking on my door about 3 1/2 days later with the analysers I ordered.
I couldn't do an international money transfer through my internet banking, so I emailed the guy and he rang me back immediatelly and I gave him my credit card details.

Personally, I couldn't recommend JMW Limited enough.

The whole process was cheaper and faster than anything I could get in Australia.

The forum should approach them as a sponsor!!!!

Never been a fan of testo last company I worked for gave me a testo and half the time never gave all the readings. Service was shocking it took over 3 weeks!!!!!

All the gas lads I worked with loved their antons I was killing them in no time, around 6 months that was doing oil gas Lpg.

I have had 2 kanes only problem I've had so far is printer was playing up. So I would recommend a Kane. Servicing is good as well usually within a week.

Hi guys/gals

thanks

Welcome Jason
Why not ask on here if anyone has an older version you can start with? Or, if anyone is about to retire who would like to sell one? That way you can try before you buy new. I think your consideration for the plight of those who've been ripped off is just brilliant and I thank you for it.
There are certainly a load of old codgers on here ;):rolleyes: ready to (or who should) retire ;) Obviously though I don't mean (spring chicken) ME!

Learn how to tile...you'll be paid as much if not more, not much investment in kit required or responsibility.

There are certainly a load of old codgers on here ;):rolleyes: ready to (or who should) retire ;) Obviously though I don't mean (spring chicken) ME!

Your not wrong there pal . Lol
I fancied retiring untill I bust my back in February, 4 weeks of daytime tv , no bloody chance , going to work until I drop now lol .
My pal has been doing a lot of plastering at the new gaff , hes 75 and still grafting , he says its what keeps him going .

Your not wrong there pal . Lol
I fancied retiring untill I bust my back in February, 4 weeks of daytime tv , no bloody chance , going to work until I drop now lol .
My pal has been doing a lot of plastering at the new gaff , hes 75 and still grafting , he says its what keeps him going .

Working for older people as I did, I watched many men retire and simply fade away - literally. Whilst we all say, "I've got my hobbies", a hobby is something that has a pull because ou cant do it all the time. You have to make time for it. Once you retire, and can do what you like when you like, hobbies generally have less 'pull'.

Sorry to be un PC, but men NEED a point to their existance. When we stop working, and bringing home the bacon, then many just give up because they feel they have no purpose, that they're not contributing.

Women largely have a thread of continuity - the home. Plus of course we men are mentally inadequate when it comes to talking to others - especially about our feelings - so end up feeling isolated. Lonliness accounts for a huge swath of illness.

From international research, the perfect way to retire is to reduce your work week over a long period. 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 day. As you do that you will naturally find other things to fill the time out of work instead of feeling like a spare part and losing the will to go on.

On the surface it seems kind of amusing, but its not. When my dad retired he was literally suicidal as he felt so 'spare'. Then mum got dementia and he said to me, "Mum's given me a reason to live." When she died before Christmas, he went back but hid it. That's why, I believe in my heart of hearts he died last week. He'd done his job. Sorry for being mordlin, but this is the reality of retirement if one is not careful.

Always look on the bright side guys :D

My pal has been doing a lot of plastering at the new gaff , hes 75 and still grafting , he says its what keeps him going.

That's good going. By 50 most of the the plasterers I know have given up either because their their shoulder has packed up or the dust got them.

I think that if you're planning to work to 75 you probably have to switch trades at least once or twice during your career because not many of them allow you more than about 25 years on the tools without wearing out or breaking some bit of you. :(

When she died before Christmas, he went back but hid it. That's why, I believe in my heart of hearts he died last week. He'd done his job. Sorry for being mordlin, but this is the reality of retirement if one is not careful.

I believe you're right. :(

Retirees with kids often seem to have the grandchildren dumped on them for free childcare these days. That's if the kids ever left home in the first place. :)

And please accept our condolences for your recent bereavement.

I believe you're right. :(

Retirees with kids often seem to have the grandchildren dumped on them for free childcare these days. That's if the kids ever left home in the first place. :)

And please accept our condolences for your recent bereavement.

Thanks Chuck. He remained his sarcastic self to the end. We were playing some music he likes and I complained we should have something happier. He pulled his mask down and gasped, "Change it and I'll feckin haunt ya" And he meant it  :rolleyes: :D:D:D That was my Dad.

Sorry for your loss Dave lost my old dad 6 years ago he suffered with the big C for 10 years in one way or the other got him in the end all the best bud . Kop

Thanks for all the advice guys, i might have found a temp solution as my friend says i can borrow his Anton analyser as he has a company one :) all i have to do is get it calibrated.
Dave sorry for your loss.

That's good going. By 50 most of the the plasterers I know have given up either because their their shoulder has packed up or the dust got them.

I think that if you're planning to work to 75 you probably have to switch trades at least once or twice during your career because not many of them allow you more than about 25 years on the tools without wearing out or breaking some bit of you. :(

Technically if you take away time spent in prison/court and getting tattoos most plasterers only work about 15 years in any 25 year period. They should be fit as fiddles really at that point.

Maybe it’s the getting tasered/shanked/drinking booze brewed in a toilet that’s responsible for their early demise.

Hi guys/gals

thanks
I bougut a testo new for around £650 and sold it because I work for a company now and they have gave me one. I only got £340 for it as it was due calibration which is £109. Deffo buy 2nd hand if you can loads of people in the same position as me. If you are worried about a stolen one as for the SN call manufacturer and ask has it been reported stolen.

I heard Kane is a good analyser with cheap calibration so best look for one with the cheapest yearly cali. Hope this helped all the best

Reply to Newly qualified gas engineer need advice on tools/training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock