Search the forum,

Discuss Newby Looking For Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

watty005

Hi, I'm looking for some advice, For a long while now I've been thinking of changing career. But don't know where to start. I'm a 30 year old lad who left school, joined the army, left the army, became a Class 1 Driver, Got fed up with that and now this has been something I have wanted to do for a long time.
Have I left it too late to start learning Plumbing? There's a course in my local college that starts in September next year (NVQ Level 2), Will I be able to do this course without any previous experience?? Or what I have to do before I could apply for this???
Any help would be much appreciated! :)

It is never too late ! Welcome to the forum. College is the best route, avoid the fast track courses like the plague !

It is never too late ! Welcome to the forum. College is the best route, avoid the fast track courses like the plague !

Yeah thanks for the advice, I have seen a few fast track courses advertising on the web, Think I will stick to the college route. Can I apply for an NVQ Level 2, without any previous experience? Or do you know what course I will have to do before I can apply for the level 2? Thanks.

It is a very long time since I did my quals so it would be better to speak to your local college for the up to date requirements.

Yeah thanks for the advice, I have seen a few fast track courses advertising on the web, Think I will stick to the college route. Can I apply for an NVQ Level 2, without any previous experience? Or do you know what course I will have to do before I can apply for the level 2? Thanks.

You need a minimum of grade D in English maths and science, that all you need to start the course, but you will need to be working with someone for the NVQ if your not working for someone you can do the technical cert which doesnt make you qualified but when you find someone to work for there is only half of the qual left to do and college is the best route.

You need a minimum of grade D in English maths and science, that all you need to start the course, but you will need to be working with someone for the NVQ if your not working for someone you can do the technical cert which doesnt make you qualified but when you find someone to work for there is only half of the qual left to do and college is the best route.
Sorry MrMeek you really have got to make sure that if you give information to posters, it is correct otherwise it is not fair on them.
The Tech Cert (6129) finishes tonight along with the (6089) NVQ, both of these have been replaced with the 6189 Diploma Level 2 & 3 this is an NVQ course so unless you are working in the trade you can not complete the on-site modules & so can not gain the qualification. It was designed to stop the miss-selling that went on with the old 6129 Tech Cert. The 6189 Diploma is now the industry standard & recognised qualification.
Unfortunately because the colleges & training providers now have nothing to sell to good people like yourself they campaigned in the summer for something to replace the old just colleges based Tech Cert & of course C&G gave in & have come out with the 6035 course.
The long & short of it is, you can not learn plumbing in a college / training centre despite what any of them may say, find yourself a job in plumbing & only then go to college.
Good luck

Last edited:
Sorry MrMeek you really have got to make sure that if you give information to posters that it is correct otherwise it is not fair on them.
The Tech Cert (6129) finishes tonight along with the (6089) NVQ, both of these have been replaced with the 6189 Diploma Level 2 & 3 this is an NVQ course so unless you are working in the trade you can not complete the on-site modules & so can not gain the qualification. It was designed to stop the miss-selling that went on with the old 6129 Tech Cert. The 6189 Diploma is now the industry standard & recognised qualification.
Unfortunately because the colleges & training providers now have nothing to sell to good people like yourself they campaigned in the summer for something to replace the old just colleges based Tech Cert & of course C&G gave in & have come out with the 6035 course.
The long & short of it is, you can not learn plumbing in a college / training centre despite what any of them may say, find yourself a job in plumbing & only then go to college.
Good luck

do you love to bully me on this site? :p, I did not give any information out what was incorrect, yes your right the op wants to look at the 6189 NVQ course you need a minimum of grade D gcse in math eng sci, you need to be employed/on an apprenticeship to complete this qual, but you can do the college work only untill you can find a placement/apprenticeship :)

Sorry MrMeek you really have got to make sure that if you give information to posters that it is correct otherwise it is not fair on them.
Good luck

Theres plenty like me out there who have achieved the impossible according to CW! nothing to stop you doing day release tech cert, work for yourself painting decorating and basic plumbing whilst you learn and moving onto bigger things as you gain experience and confidence. work with a local plumber as a sidekick, most plumbers would rather have a 30 yearold than an apprentice, and arent afraid of competition if they have been at it long enough.

college is mainly to put youngsters through some form of training to prove they have it to work. An ex serviceman already has the nous to work hard and learn, get some plumbing experience behind them and move to gas/oil when they are happy enough to do so. dont believe all the desk jockeys out there, if you want it enough go for it, it isnt easy, times are hard but everyone has to start somewhere.

Happy new year and good luck out there

Theres plenty like me out there who have achieved the impossible according to CW! nothing to stop you doing day release tech cert, work for yourself painting decorating and basic plumbing whilst you learn and moving onto bigger things as you gain experience and confidence. work with a local plumber as a sidekick, most plumbers would rather have a 30 yearold than an apprentice, and arent afraid of competition if they have been at it long enough.

college is mainly to put youngsters through some form of training to prove they have it to work. An ex serviceman already has the nous to work hard and learn, get some plumbing experience behind them and move to gas/oil when they are happy enough to do so. dont believe all the desk jockeys out there, if you want it enough go for it, it isnt easy, times are hard but everyone has to start somewhere.

Happy new year and good luck out there

chris was right that the only course now is the 6189 but despite what he says you can still do the college side of it before the nvq side its the same course and is now all in one cert but you can still do it this way.

to the op go to college and find out the info and prices of the course if you can work for a plumber for free to gain experience thats what I did worked for free to gain the full qual, its a hard and long road to become a plumber but if you are keen you'll do well! jump in and have no regrets

Lol this argument again? This is so fun talking about all these numbers...

Keep going! This is entertainment :D

Lol this argument again? This is so fun talking about all these numbers...

Keep going! This is entertainment :D

Chris is no where to be seen again haha, I keep posting CORRECT information and he keeps saying its wrong I am literally going to go to c&g get them to confirm I am right and slap it in his face soon lol

It's not too late at 30 but its not the career it should be tbh. Everyone is struggling and unless you go the apprentice route, you'll never get a job. Too many experienced guys out there fighting for jobs.

Chris is no where to be seen again haha, I keep posting CORRECT information and he keeps saying its wrong I am literally going to go to c&g get them to confirm I am right and slap it in his face soon lol

Lol this arguement over qualifications is so funny! However your both wrong at 1 thing:

Entry level is at least grade C in maths,english, science.
However colleges can get over this by putting the individuals into classes to gain the equivalent

Lol this arguement over qualifications is so funny! However your both wrong at 1 thing:

Entry level is at least grade C in maths,english, science.
However colleges can get over this by putting the individuals into classes to gain the equivalent

You have finally joined in :D,

App in Plumbing L2

This is my college who I did my training with go down to the (What qualifications do I need)

ar.jpg.....

All this rather underlines my reticence at giving specifics.................:D In my day a recent pulse was a decent in !

Would it not be easier to just sticky the 1000's of previous posts on this or perhaps make the search button 10 times bigger so you can't miss it? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newby Looking For Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for advice please, our plumber has left us in it and I think I may know why. So they where supposed to be fitting a cloakroom sink putting the pipe work in the wall then fitting these black shut off valves and black trap but can’t see how this is possible the way the work has been...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping someone can help. Our dishwasher is leaking and the manual says this can be fixed by cleaning the water inlet filter. To do this, we need to close the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the boiler has started to stay on all the time. My usual engineer took a look at it and advised me to contact the manufacturer. I then had an engineer from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock