Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie looking for advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I've just joined and hoping to get lots of tips and ideas from you guys. My partner has asked me to build her a bathroom upstairs in what is currently and extra unused bedroom. I am not a professional but I am a decent DIYer. Now, we currently have a downstairs bathroom with nothing upstairs and I was wondering, if I removed the downstairs bathroom and built one upstairs, would I need to include a pump to assist the water flow?

All hot water is currently supplied by a single boiler in the kitchen supplying hot taps and heating. There is currently no water supply upstairs!

I look forward to learning a lot from the forum. Thanks in anticipation of your help.

You will not need to use a pump sounds like your boiler works on mains water.You will need to look at the waste pipe runs and where to take them to drain.

Thanks mate. Yea the boiler is fed from the mains. I have the waste in mind. Bath and shower not a problem I can connect to the waste for the kitchen sink outlet which is directly underneath. The toilet waste is more of a problem and I suspect the easiest is going to run along the outside of the wall (taking the necessary slope into consideration) and then down to the outside of where the current toilet is and back in through the wall to the current waste.

There will be a cupboard in that position as we extend the kitchen so the waste pipe will be hidden. The alternative is digging up the concrete floor in the back garden looking for the sewerage pipe which I am not too keen on.

Thanks for your reply.

going out (external) then back in (internal) with the soil pipe doesn't sound logical also building control may need to be notified

I know it's not the best mate but the alternative is digging up the concrete garden looking for the waste pipe which I am not sure I want to do. Unless there are alternatives? I'm always open to a better way!

I know it's not the best mate but the alternative is digging up the concrete garden looking for the waste pipe which I am not sure I want to do. Unless there are alternatives? I'm always open to a better way!

That's plumbing Pal.

Digging and accessing existing drains for new connections.

As for easier solutions or alternatives - sometimes there aren't any.

If you’re putting a bathroom upstairs you will need to either upgrade the floor joists or have calculations on your existing , you will need building control for any structural change , they will also want to see your waste pipe work and where it goes, your electrical certs for any work , and ventilation as per room requirements, check out with your local building control officer before you start. It’s not a job for the faint hearted. And putting the waste outside and then back in again did raise a smile. Anyway do a lot of research and then some, buy a lot of tools and get ready for a few lost knuckles/ holes in ceilings and to get pretty wet.

Thanks gingalig ... this has been very helpful. I need to do lots of research before I even think of pulling up the carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie looking for advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I need to replace the kitchen tap, all my neighbours have two single taps in their kitchen and bathroom whereas I have a single lever tap in the bathroom and kitchen. Due to living in a flat and having a shared water supply I was advised to get a dual flow tap for the kitchen so...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house, the other one (downstairs) gave a leak flow history of 17PPM So I got someone in from British Gas, he did lots of combustion and air quality checks...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock