Search the forum,

Discuss New Year's Resolutions? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Chuck

Esteemed
Subscribed
I've just got round to dealing with my New Year resolution for 2020, which was to check what I've been paying for gas and leccy and switch if I could save more than £50 / year.

Turns out my gas, which has been 2.6 p/kWh is reasonably competitive, switching would save ca £40 / year and since the current supplier has been consistently good for the last three year I'll stick with them. Leccy, is another story. Switching from my current supplier (hah hah, see what I did there?) who were the best buy three years ago but now charge 17.8 p/kWh to the new one (12.6 p/kWh) will save me £360 / year and also make me feel all environmentally friendly because they're 'green tarriff only' supplier.

Total time taken to find and make the switch, 30 minutes. 10 min to check my annual consumption from bills, 10 min to find suitable alternatives on a comparison site, and 10 min to sign up with the new outfit.

Pro tip: make sure on sites like 'uswitch' you select the 'whole market' option. Leaving it at the default 'ones we can switch for you' yielded a neglible saving.

So, now I need a resolution for 2021. Maybe use less electricity in the first place...

Festive greetings to all!

Leccy, is another story. Switching from my current supplier (hah hah, see what I did there?) who were the best buy three years ago but now charge 17.8 p/kWh to the new one (12.6 p/kWh) will save me £360 / year and also make me feel all environmentally friendly because they're 'green tarriff only' supplier.

How did the standing charges compare between the 2 suppliers? Some people miss this when comparing

How did the standing charges compare between the 2 suppliers? Some people miss this when comparing
A good point but in my case:

Old supplier: 23.57p / day
New supplier: 21.3p / day

I've not specified the company names to avoid being accused of advertising but PM me if you want to know.

I posted here because I was (a) dead chuffed with the saving, and (b) amazed by how fast a company can move from best in market one year to pretty pricey a couple of years later. Checking one's tarrifs clearly does need to be an annual task.

Standing charge is such a con...I quite like MoneySavingExpert's Cheap Energy Club where you input your tariff and they let you know when a better tariff appears on the market. I set my bar at £150 a year. If a new tariff to the market gives me that saving or more then I switch anything less and I can't be arsed.

I like Lewis, sold the site for thirty five mill and gave away 10 mill away to charity.

Reply to New Year's Resolutions? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Our current boiler is 19 years old (and a piece of Rubbish) Had a guy round today from Energy Options Solutions that offered us an Ideal 30kw Logic Boiler on 10 year finance with 10 year warranty. They claimed it would save us 54% minimum on our gas bill per month and we would have a magnetic...
Replies
Views
I'm sure this is an old question but here goes. I'm looking for some advice regarding switching from a conventional boiler to a combi. I moved into my current house about a year ago. It has a conventional boiler with a hot water tank. The boiler is Vitodens 100-W, which is a condenser boiler...
Replies
Views
hi, sad to say my kitchen sink tap is leaking at the base of the goose neck (spout can swivel left or right).............anyone here DIY fix before ? i saw Youtube videos and seem simple...........just change the rubber O-rings..............but how do i make sure the O-rings are of the same...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock