Search the forum,

Discuss new washing machine, unable to attach waste pipe in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 99918

got a new washing maching delivered this morning (old one taken away).
all was going well with the installation, until i went to connect up the water waste pipe.

the connector that is on the drain u-bend appears to be 23.5mm, but the waste pipe on the washing machine looks like 21mm.
there is absolutely no way that the pipe will fit the connector, and we've tried but all it's doing is starting to affect the pipe so we stopped.

looking around the usual screwfix/b&q etc they all seem to stock the exact same connector that we already have (23.5mm).

how are we supposed to connect up the waste pipe to the drain?

photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_122609.jpg
    IMG_20200411_122609.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200411_122635.jpg
    IMG_20200411_122635.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200411_122657.jpg
    IMG_20200411_122657.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 18
Wont the washing machine pipe fit the spigot in your first picture? if its tight, put the end in some hot water to make it softer, usually does the trick, but make sure you put the jubilee clip on before pushing it onto the spigot.

that's what i'm trying to attach it to, but the pipe is 21mm and the spigot (i assume you mean the plastic connector) is 23.5mm.

i've forced it and forced it but there is no way it is going to attach, it was starting to damage the internal pipe due to the force being applied.

that's what i'm trying to attach it to, but the pipe is 21mm and the spigot (i assume you mean the plastic connector) is 23.5mm.

i've forced it and forced it but there is no way it is going to attach, it was starting to damage the internal pipe due to the force being applied.
You might have to go for an adapter
or fit a stand pipe.
1586609356866.png

or alter your trap if possible. Check the size before buying. I don't know what size theses are.
1586609427955.png

how would the adaptor work?
isn't that to join two flexible pipes together?

Picture 1, the fitting steps up in size, does the smaller (first) section go in the hose? If yes is it a loose fit and you are trying to get the hose on the larger section?

The adapter you have looks too large. One of these might help
Just use the end bit?

I have never had a problem with them before are you trying to connect it properly

unless there is way other than it being a push fit, then what other method is there?
[automerge]1586610111[/automerge]
The adapter you have looks too large. One of these might help

that was the one that was in place for the old washing machine.
so i'm guessing the old washing machine must have had a much large waste pipe.

yes the video shows what is supposed to happen.
this flex pipe will not fit over the plastic fitting.
the fitting is 23.5mm and the pipe is 21mm.

the old washing machine pipe was attached to the fitting and was simply pulled out at the point of removal.

What size is the fitting after it steps up?
What make & model is the washing machine, did you buy it here in the uk?

Electra W1244CF2W 6Kg Washing Machine with 1200 rpm - yes bought in UK
i don't know what size the fitting is after it steps up.

all i know is that when attempts have been made to fit the pipe on to the fitting it is too big as you can see it malforming the inside of the pipe as it attempts to fit into it.

the old washing machine didn't have a jubilee clip or anything to hold it in place, it was simply the hose attached to the fitting and it was secure.

Well if you are 100% certain the hose wont even fit over the first section on the stepped fitting then I can only suggest 2 things.
Read the manual or call a plumber.

well ok, the manual says fit the pipe to the connector, so RTFM isn't exactly appropriate here (i wouldn't have came here otherwise).

and getting a plumber out? so which plumbers are coming out to house visits in the current circumstances for non emergency jobs? the reason AO (where it was bought from) didn't install is because they are only delivering to the door and not doing any installations at all.
[automerge]1586612259[/automerge]
Well if you are 100% certain the hose wont even fit over the first section on the stepped fitting then I can only suggest 2 things.
Read the manual or call a plumber.

i didn't say the house won't fit over the first section, i said it doesn't fit in the "inside" part, so it is not secure in any way.
the previous machine was fitted over the fitting using pressure only - there was NO jubliee clip or anything to keep it in place.

therefore the conclusion must be that the old washing machine pipe must have been a larger diameter than the new one.

so do washing machines not have a standard sized waste pipe then?
is the assumption that the old machine pipe was a different size to the new one?

however, as i have no jubliee clips (or anything similar) it's unlikely i'll be able to secure it anyway (as per the video).

well ok, the manual says fit the pipe to the connector, so RTFM isn't exactly appropriate here (i wouldn't have came here otherwise).

and getting a plumber out? so which plumbers are coming out to house visits in the current circumstances for non emergency jobs? the reason AO (where it was bought from) didn't install is because they are only delivering to the door and not doing any installations at all.
No

[automerge]1586612259[/automerge]

i didn't say the house won't fit over the first section, i said it doesn't fit in the "inside" part, so it is not secure in any way.
the previous machine was fitted over the fitting using pressure only - there was NO jubliee clip or anything to keep it in place.
No need to throw the toys out of the pram, we have tried to help you.
IT ISN`T MEANT TO GO INSIDE THE RIBBED PLASTIC PIPE just the first 30mm of rubber as shown in the video.

is the assumption that the old machine pipe was a different size to the new one?

however, as i have no jubliee clips (or anything similar) it's unlikely i'll be able to secure it anyway (as per the video).
you can get a clip online or from hardware shop Screwfix b&q tool station cut the first bit of it should be quite a snug fit the jubilee clip is to keep it secret as the pump from the machine is quite powerful and if there is back pressure could blow off and reckon the cupboard
[automerge]1586612917[/automerge]

yes other the larger or smaller the smaller end bit is possibly dishwasher size

No

No need to throw the toys out of the pram, we have tried to help you.
IT ISN`T MEANT TO GO INSIDE THE RIBBED PLASTIC PIPE just the first 30mm of rubber as shown in the video.

there are no toys in this pram, however saying read the manual or call a plumber is a pointless response to give consider the current conditions we are under.

there are no toys in this pram, however saying read the manual or call a plumber is a pointless response to give consider the current conditions we are under.
not really as plumbers/gas engineers are allowed to work in emergency situations or where they deem it safe to do so

you can get a clip online or from hardware shop Screwfix b&q tool station cut the first bit of it should be quite a snug fit the jubilee clip is to keep it secret as the pump from the machine is quite powerful and if there is back pressure could blow off and reckon the cupboard

i will see if i can find a cable tie or similar to secure it for now.

I`ve seen them held on with two cables ties! :D

not really as plumbers/gas engineers are allowed to work in emergency situations or where they deem it safe to do so

nobody here is willing to do any visits right now, it has been tried already.
they either don't respond or simply say they aren't able to do such visits.

Is 21mm the internal or external diameter of your pipe?
I have in the past used a short section of 22mm copper tube and 2 jubilee clips to join two w/m hoses together and it was a tight fit but went on without needing to be heated up. The hose then attached to a standard spigot.
If the internal diameter is 21mm (ish) then it's probably a standard size hose and it's the spigot you have which is an unusual size.
Saying that though, your spigot looks like it may be McAlpine which is a very good brand, They are made for 3/4'' waste pipes(about 21mm) and also have the ability to take a larger waste pipe, but not a smaller one.
MA15.png

looks like it worked but no thank you
Yeah, thinking the guy was blinkered and wasn`t listening, then finally the penny dropped.
Really annoys me when we give time & help freely and not one thanks. Sometimes I wonder why we bother tbh.

Is 21mm the internal or external diameter of your pipe?
I have in the past used a short section of 22mm copper tube and 2 jubilee clips to join two w/m hoses together and it was a tight fit but went on without needing to be heated up. The hose then attached to a standard spigot.
If the internal diameter is 21mm (ish) then it's probably a standard size hose and it's the spigot you have which is an unusual size.
Saying that though, your spigot looks like it may be McAlpine which is a very good brand, They are made for 3/4'' waste pipes(about 21mm) and also have the ability to take a larger waste pipe, but not a smaller one.
View attachment 43289

I hadn't gone to page 2 of this thread when I replied, disregard the above in this case...

Yeah, thinking the guy was blinkered and wasn`t listening, then finally the penny dropped.
Really annoys me when we give time & help freely and not one thanks. Sometimes I wonder why we bother tbh.

It took me a while to figure out they were trying to shove the spigot all the way past the rubber end and into the actual pipe and they were annoyed it wouldn't fit in there. There was nothing wrong with any of the parts, they just needed a jubilee clip! (or improvised securing method.)

What a frustrating read that was!

It took me a while to figure out they were trying to shove the spigot all the way past the rubber end and into the actual pipe and they were annoyed it wouldn't fit in there. There was nothing wrong with any of the parts, they just needed a jubilee clip! (or improvised securing method.)

Agree, you couldn't make it up, or could you?
Simular thread going on re a tap but I'm not getting involved in that one.

also no thank you for helping either, really annoys me

Wont the washing machine pipe fit the spigot in your first picture? if its tight, put the end in some hot water to make it softer, usually does the trick, but make sure you put the jubilee clip on before pushing it onto the spigot.

Reply to new washing machine, unable to attach waste pipe in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock