Search the forum,

Discuss New Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

ShaunCorbs

Super Moderator
Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Solutions
I’ve seen this too, think it’s American only at present. I can’t really see an advantage of this tiny circular saw over a normal one.

Looking at that, and especially the 3x2 provided for the demo, my feeling is that they are trying to create a 'hand held everyday' type market. Small 'handy' tools that you pull out & use on things one does constantly in order to be more efficient.

The true 'value' of this market is not the tools but the battery sales. All modern batteries have inside them a computer. Its role is safety. It limits the number of times the battery can be charged. Once you reach that number it stops it from ever being charged again & you have to buy a new batt. Thats why 'bare' tools are cheap.

That looks interesting hopefully the other big ones will copy the idea / make there own
Makita had (probably still does) a mini saw like that about 12 years ago. As the blade was much thinner than a typical circular saw, it was great when working on delicate areas like exposed polished floorboards. Trouble back then was batteries and motors wasn't as good as they are now so the unit lacked power and battery soon died. Always wanted an updated version.

I've got a 12v Bosch mini circular saw and an 18v Makita 136mm circular.
You can cut studwork against a speed square with the Makita and not have to slog a chopsaw around with you and more importantly there is no real kickback and the motor stops if you pinch the blade.

I nearly chopped half my hand off with my 240v Dewalt when it jumped out of a cut, although it was my own fault as the wood wasn't supported.

whats the power like does it struggle a bit?

Works great on the ply and multi panels. Use it on floor boards no problem but need to run two cuts through chipboard flooring.

I bought it specifically for the wall panels and it will be 3 or 4 years old now.

Works great on the ply and multi panels. Use it on floor boards no problem but need to run two cuts through chipboard flooring.

I bought it specifically for the wall panels and it will be 3 or 4 years old now.

What’s the reason for that on the flooring Boggs down ?

Although I can see it being handy what would it do a circ saw cant? Soon you end up with a van and a house full of tools you will use for 1 particular job.

When I was an apprentice the old boy who I worked with had an sds plus and that was the only power tool he owned I look at how long we used to take to do jobs back then with all these new bits and Bob's it dosent take that much time off it just makes it that little bit less hard work.

For power tools I have

Bosch sds
Makita combi drill
Makita impact driver
Erbaur multi tool. Bought after my fein packed in.
Worx small circular saw
Evolution sliding compound mitre saw
Makita core drill, but tend to use the sds
Small cheap electric tile saw
Oh and Henry.

The only things not on the van all the time are the mitre saw and tile saw.

Keep thinking I've forgotten something.

For power tools I have

Bosch sds
Makita combi drill
Makita impact driver
Erbaur multi tool. Bought after my fein packed in.
Worx small circular saw
Evolution sliding compound mitre saw
Makita core drill, but tend to use the sds
Small cheap electric tile saw
Oh and Henry.

The only things not on the van all the time are the mitre saw and tile saw.

Keep thinking I've forgotten something.

Blimey I have

18v sds, combi drill impact, multi tool, angle grinder, circular saw
Core drill.
Sds max drill (for big holes through granite walls
Cheap rotary drill for tile drilling.
240v sds drill
Jigsaw
Wet vac
Henry (when one or the other dies I'm just going to get 1 and use that)

Then I have the tools back in the garage.

I have too many tools, but it makes life easier.
How did I ever manage without a multi tool!

I always carry my Dremel kit with a flexi hose, those small cutting disks in particular have got me out of many a tight cutting pickle.

Most used tool is my wet vac. I work in a lot of old Victorian buildings and often have to do a snatch to change a valve. The wet vac prevents a flood and me sh*tting myself at doing this in the first place.

That looks interesting hopefully the other big ones will copy the idea / make there own

When I did big site work we (my mate) had one similar for cutting unistrut and threaded rod, it had a metal cutting fine toothed blade and ran at a slower speed than the normal circular saw. It didn’t produce sparks like a grinder so didn’t need hot works permits. Wasn’t cheap if I remember right, but saved us a ton of time and hassle when we were on price work.

When I did big site work we (my mate) had one similar for cutting unistrut and threaded rod, it had a metal cutting fine toothed blade and ran at a slower speed than the normal circular saw. It didn’t produce sparks like a grinder so didn’t need hot works permits. Wasn’t cheap if I remember right, but saved us a ton of time and hassle when we were on price work.

Yep there great very handy and the blades last an ok number of times on steel and ages on uni

Reply to New Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock