Search the forum,

Discuss New thermostatic tap doesn't control water temperature in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Bates

Hi all,

I've just installed a new tap / shower mixer. It the model is:

Aldo Thermostatic Deck Mounted Bath Show Mixer

Having fitted it successfully (seemingly!), it isn't working at all as expected. I should say that I'm a complete novice in these matters.

The basic problem is: the unit does not control the water temperature in a detectable way. The water is very hot even on the lowest temperature, and doesn't seem to change when cranked all the way up. It does reach a point however where something happens, and the temperature plummets to completely cold.

If you have 2 mins spare, I have a video explaining the issue better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98pxZjeJRzA

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

Tom

Is your hot on the left? And what do you have for hot water? Combi? Cylinder?

Is your hot on the left? And what do you have for hot water? Combi? Cylinder?

Combi boiler (Glow Worm Flexicom 24CX)

And hot is currently on the right...

I'll say now that there were no instructions with unit at all. But yes, perhaps I should have called a plumber :wink_smile:

It's got to be Hot and Cold connections reversed.
What side was the hot tap on before you removed the old one?

Are the connections on flexi pipes?

i agree the hot and cold are plumbed up wrong, they need swapping round for the tap to work correctly.

1. Where is your hot and cold water coming from ? Hot from tank / cold from mains ?
2. Have you removed the thermostat and tried adjusting the temp setting?
3. is this a cheep tap ? a good quality thermostatic bath shower mixer would be well over ÂŁ200.

Thanks all for the replies and advice. Not sure if my messages are being moderated as I did try to write back...

Chalked: Hot is currently on the right (How I found it). Having been given this clue (by yourself snowhead and steveb ) I think this is most likely the cause! So to be clear: the correct format should be left=hot, right=cold?

jtsplumbing:

1. Combi boiler, no tank
2. Not yet, I'll try the above first!
3. Unfortunately yes, a cheap tap. Reviews were ok, but there's probably a lesson there as well...

Thanks again.

For the purposes of testing, you could just turn the mixer section upside down, so the shower hose points up.
This effectively swops the hot and cold into the valve.

If it works O.K you need to swop the pipes under the bath, and put the mixer the right way up!.

For the purposes of testing, you could just turn the mixer section upside down, so the shower hose points up.
This effectively swops the hot and cold into the valve.

If it works O.K you need to swop the pipes under the bath, and put the mixer the right way up!.

thems be some quality lateral thinkings you gots going on there sonny.

Just also make sure cold water is mains supplied and not gravity from tank in loft, have seen combination boilers installed on mains with cold outlets supplied by tank in loft.

If your hot water is on the right it is the wrong way round so when the taps is trying to let cold water in to cool it down it's actually pulling more hot in then it is getting to the point it just wants hot so it is then letting cold water in. Swap the pipes around and all should be fine.

Hi all,

So, that did the trick! Swapping around the hot / cold feed was a good few hours fiddly work but it's working like a charm now, and no strange noises coming from it either.

Thanks once again for everybody's patience and advice - it's been very useful and really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New thermostatic tap doesn't control water temperature in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
hello all, happy new year! i hope i have posted this in the right section i have a shower bar mixer. the shower runs luke warm. a quick google search showed some ideas on how to adjust it. i tried adjusting it and it didn't change the temp. when i adjusted it the other way to test the cold...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock