Search the forum,

Discuss New stopcock on rising main in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have an old 1950s house, and the stopcock on the rising main is quite stiff and difficult to access. I'd like to add a new stopcock in a more accessible position, but leave the old stopcock in place so that that I don't have to turn off the water at the property boundary. Is there any issue with doing it this way?

Cheers!

Hi

I have an old 1950s house, and the stopcock on the rising main is quite stiff and difficult to access. I'd like to add a new stopcock in a more accessible position, but leave the old stopcock in place so that that I don't have to turn off the water at the property boundary. Is there any issue with doing it this way?

Cheers!
In a short answer yes.
Hi it’s fairly common practice. A lot of plumbers cut one in at an easier location and leave existing in place.
If the stop tap isn’t right it could be causing a restriction on your incoming main. Also if it’s the one with the built in drain off. They have a tendency to leak after a while. Sometimes best practice is to replace with plumbing. This all depends how much of a job you want to make of it.
It’s not difficult if you want the old imperial one removing. You can always use a utc to adapt most types of pipe. If it’s barrel you can often put a 22mm compression straight on the pipe.
You haven’t stated what type of pipework your incoming main is.
I can give better advice with more information. But may have already given you the answer you wanted.
Regards Wayne

If your house is a 1950s house the incoming main could be lead. If that is the case its unlikely you will be able to change the tap yourself. It might be worth getting a plumber in to look.

Reply to New stopcock on rising main in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock